Another SW Hollowform

Cody Colston

This is my interpretation of a Southwest form.

Spalted Hackberry, 4 1/4" x 7" with 2 5/16" throat. That's about as small as I can go with the Sorby Hollowmaster.

Finish is Mylands and Renaissance wax. You can see that the foot has a thin band of Walnut...that's cause I forgot to measure the inside depth before parting it off and I made a funnel. The fix turned out well, though. :)

Comments and critique welcome.

Attachments

• SWHF 001.jpg
    SWHF 001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
  • SWHF 005.jpg
    SWHF 005.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 33
  • SWHF 003.jpg
    SWHF 003.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 15
Wow - looks good Cody! Beautiful wood, good looking form and finish! About the only thing I would suggest would be a slightly smaller foot the next time - something smaller than the opening. This one looks good - can't wait to see the next one!

Last edited:
Great work, Cody. :clap: Good save on the funnel, too. I agree with Steve on the foot suggestion, but I also agree with his comments about the form and finish. Nicely done.

Cody that is a beauty. I really like the walnut foot as it accents the vase. Don't tell anyone and if they ask you meant to do that as Bill G. would say. Great save and well done.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. I agree about the foot and if I'd looked harder at Jim Ketron's SW Form, I would have made it virtually footless like his. I like that shape on the bottom.