Thread: Leaving burn marks

Independence Ky

Leaving burn marks

I was turning some old spindles from a table my wife's mom left her when I noticed I was leaving burn marks. These spindlels are probably 50 yrs. old and have been painted and varnished a dozen times. My Question is am I leaving my gouger on the same spot too long, or am I doing something else wrong? I'm moving at a decent pace although with the last couple spindles I seem to be leaving marks. My turning tools are not getting very hot, butt I'm leaving burns. I have sharpened tools, and I'm not leaving gouges in wood. Any suggestions?

Tokyo Japan
    Brad, I must say I'm at a loss, you are getting burn marks on the spindle turnings by rubbing a gouge on it

I have to pull hard to get burn marks from wires used for putting burn marks into a turning on purpose, I cannot imagine how hard you must be pushing to get burn marks with a gouge......

Take some pics, maybe we can help you out a bit.

Also, with your tools sharp and the lathe turned off, try a practice cut by rotating the piece by hand, if your tool is sharp and your presentation is correct, you should be able to cut the wood.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    All the paint and varnish has been stripped off, right?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke