View Poll Results: Have you ever considered going total neanderthal?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...I love my power tools

39 78.00%
  • Yes...but hand planning all my rough sawn wood scares me

4 8.00%
  • Maybe: I thought of doing a project or to two that was hand tool only

7 14.00%
  • Yes: all my power tools are currently for sale

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unplugging the cord???

Unplugging the cord???

Have any of you considered unplugging all your power tools, selling them and then doing total Neanderthal woodworking?

I must admit I have, but making rough sawn lumber into planned lumber just plane scares me. I mean that is a lot of work. Plus I like my old powered woodworking tools,like my Witherby, Ruggs, and Richardson jointer and Canedy Otto Drill Press..

So what about you? Any Neanderthal thoughts (and yes I promise not to tell the Mrs that you considered having less power tools )
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I think I'm a modern hybrid of sorts, I like to use both, and both have a good spot in my Dungeon, to forgo either is not something I would do.

My power tools, we are talking big saws etc, do the work an old world craftsman's apprentice would have done, I don't have an apprentice (nor am I an old or new world craftsman) so I use the electrons. Time is an important factor to me, I have way too little of it, with a list way too long to get done.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

No category for me. I considered it and was working towards that pure goal when age happened. Still have a few Neander tools, there are times they are the tool of choice. But, don't unplug me.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I voted , maybe a project or two. I love the few neander tools I have and will be adding to the collection, but I like the middle of the road philosophy! I think there is a place in any shop for both.

I do love a sharp chisel or the feel of little curlies jumping off a board I am working. My shop time is short enough and my joy lies elsewhere. Power tools allow me to get pretty close if not 'done' on many parts of a piece. I do use hand tools liberally for fitting joints and final adjustments but would not want to build a whole dresser without some kind of tailed tool.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Nah. I believe that if the Goddards had had access to powered tools they would have used them for the rough stuff and the hand tools for the fine work. That said, I don't own a surface planer and my old Craftsman 6" jointer will be up for sale soon. Same with the old Delta contractors saw. I'll replace the saw with a modern light Bosch and forget about the jointer. If I need a piece of lumber dimensioned and it's a biggy, I'll go to my local friend and have him do it on his heavy stuff. I see nothing spiritual in hogging a half inch from the top of a rough oak board of 5 or 6 feet in length... by hand.

Now of course most of my wood cutting has to do with refinishing and convservation but once every few years I actually build something. But no, I am not going to give up my cordless drills for those times when I have tons of holes to make and precision is not a factor.

He says this while looking at a basement in a total mess after a recent minor flood... woodies all over the place, boxes of hand tools piled up and significantly outnumbering the corded Daemons.

Gary
    Gary Roberts
    Massachusetts
    Blog: Toolemera Blog
    Web Site: http://toolemera.com/

No way. But there are specific things that I think are easier done with hand tools. For example, I bought a drum sander to flatten glued up panels and it was more trouble than it was worth. Then I learned to a) glue up the panels pretty flat to start with by watching David Marks and b) to use a hand scraper to smooth the glue line to where 30 seconds with a ROS and I'm good to go. I thought I'd learn to joint edges with a jointer plane, but went back to the jointer for that followed by a quick pass with a hand plane for finished edges on higher quality projects. Lower quality projects just get sanded. And I decided that I'll do dovetails by hand rather than use a router jig which is expensive and somewhat limiting. But for mortises and tenon joints I plan to go the opposite way. As soon as I have the money I'll be buying a Domino.

For me its about a means for achieving the end. I've figured out that I don't like doing tedious repetitive stuff--I want to make things. And I've tried enough different ways of doing various things that I know I want the easiest way to get an acceptable end product. I'm not a purist. If pocket screws will make an acceptably strong widget then that's what I'll use. If I can use a plane faster than sanding or cutting, then I'll do that.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
    He says this while looking at a basement in a total mess after a recent minor flood... woodies all over the place, boxes of hand tools piled up and significantly outnumbering the corded Daemons.

Gary
    That sucks, and not in the good way! I hope the damage is not too severe!

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:56 AM.

My backlog of projects is so big I'm thinking of getting some more power tools to get things done quicker

Now I can understand the fascination of hand power tools, I think they are very cool. But then your hobby has become the collection, tuning and use of hand tools. Thats fair enough, but stuff actually gets built as a by-product almost.

Now if you just want to 'get R done' it's power tools all the way

I do have a set of chisels, some hand saws and a rasp, just for doing those odd little things that I dont have a power tool for

Cheers

Ian