Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sparky Question.........

Sparky Question.........

OK, guys, how many 20 amp circuits are usually allowed on a 30 amp service?

I'm going to buy a new panel for the Dungeon, and don't want to over do it.

No light gauge wiring, all #12 or #10 wire.

No real power hogs in the Dungeon on the 100V circuits, the small bar fridge, (11 amps max), SCMS, TS, lighting and then hand tools, oh yeah, the lathe too, which is 15 amps max.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

By "20A circuits", do you mean 20A sockets? or actual 20A circuit breakers? I believe 10 sockets on one circuit breaker is the max allowed. I think it's more important for you to layout the sockets/circuit breakers according to their use/current and balance the number that way. The lathe on it's own circuit, saws that would only be used one at a time on the same circuit with multiple sockets, etc..

Also, when you say your lathe is 15A and fridge 11A "MAX", is that including the startup current?

Well my assumption is that you are feeding from a main supply somewhere to the room off a 30 amp breaker circuit in the main panel. Your putting a sub panel in that may have multiple 20 amp circuit breakers in the room.

I'm not a licensed electrician, but as long as you've got a 30 amp breaker at the main feeding it and properly sized wiring, you could put as many as you need after it. I might suggest to get a subpanel that has another 30 amp main breaker in it to protect the wire feed from the main supply in the event the main fails to throw.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren,

This is Stu's "30A service panel"....in the Dungeon.

Attachment 16608

Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Stu, may I suggest a good main breaker box for you..... Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

OK, back from some rain gutter work.....

You mentioned lighting... Be sure to put your lights on separate circuits than your equipment circuits. You do not want to pop a breaker and have a saw winding down while you are in the dark...and can't find your way to the breaker! I would put 2 breakers for lights, just for double peace of mind.

Think about what tools you might be running at the same time, if any. I would put equipment with high start-up current, as well as high running current equipment on separate circuits. Whatever motors you have that can run on 200VAC, I would rewire them to run on it...thus saving you current draw.

Be sure your wall socket and switch specs match your circuit specs as far as voltage and current. Might be a good time to double check all your cords and plugs to make sure they are the right specs for the voltage, current and plug style. This would be good if you happen to use a cord you had on hand for a project, intending to upgrade next time you went to the DIY store.

(circuit = breaker circuit, not wall socket)

Sorry, it was late and I just fired that off with not much info

Here is half of my "Panel"

it is indeed a "sub panel" from the main panel.

I know it looks scary, but it is all perfectly legal here in Tokyo.

I do have a lot of things on separate circuits, like the lathe, and the fridge, table saw etc. The large tools, the Jointer, The Phoenix, and the cyclone all run on 3-phase of which I have lots of power. Tools that are 100V that I'd be running together are something like the Festool saw and the vacuum cleaner, not much more than that.

So if I buy a panel with 20 spots for breakers, that is OK?

Just checking.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

A 20 breaker service panel should be more than enough, but will give you a lot of flexibility in ways you can wire up the Dungeon now, and in the future.

Oh...where is the "main panel"? Any pics of it?

How much current does your elevator draw under a full load?

Wish my boys were here to answer your question Stu.

Jr. is a second year journeyman running a crew and Chris is a 2nd year apprentice.....both work on commercial wiring.

I'm pretty hard to stump on antique John Deere tractors though in case you ever have the need to know.....
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Wow, stu, I am suprised they let that be legal. My inspector made me pull all the old wiring of the walls before he would approve the new panel.