A Personal Triumph

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

You may remember a thread from a couple months ago "what frustrates you about woodworking?" I wrote back that, just once, I'd like to make a square cut. You probably remember me complaining about the gaps in my picture frames. And you might even remember I got hosed for Christmas, and was determined to do something about it.

Well, I decided to use the occasion to solve a problem, and my biggest problem was cutting good angles. So I figured I'd bite the bullet, and be done with going halfway. This after going the miter trimmer route, and the SCMS route, and the homemade customized sled route, three times.

I'm really hopeless at this stuff. I need the most help I can get. And the most help is....

The Incra Miter 5000!!! ;)

5k-031.jpg

here it is, in all it's glory!

5k-032.jpg

It's beautiful!

5k-033.jpg

And well made!

5k-034.jpg

can it do an octogon? That's twice as hard as a picture frame?

5k-035.jpg

Doorlink is smiling because this means her husband isn't a complete doofus! ;) The jokes about me at her bridge club were getting to be a bit much... ;)

5k-036.jpg

Nice to have real sawdust on the thing.

5k-037.jpg

Just for play, I thought I'd try something beyond conception. Wouldn't ever have dreamed of making an 18 sided figure, not even in my wildest fantasy.And yet... ;)

5k-038.jpg

This last one is for you cynics out there, who think I might have faked it with the pieces laid out on the table... ;)

Unbelieveable. I know you can all do this with just any old miter gage or homemade sled. But *I* never could before!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
That is excellent Bill. We all do what we can and find a way to do what we can't. I took a lot of heat for not "just learning how" to sharpen free hand. I just don't have it . . . bought a jig, all is well. My shop made sled serves me well but if it didn't, I would not hesitate to find a way to get around it.

Work on and be happy ;-)

Congratulations!

What is the point in trying to draw a perfect straight line or a circle freehand when you have a rule and a divider?

Tools were and are invented to make life easier, otherwise we still would be using our teeth and nails. Civilization started when a paleolithic man took a stone in his hand, that was the first tool.

Now I expect to see real weird looking frames, and table tops and

Enjoy it:thumb:

Bill, those look suspiciously like rings for a large segmented bowl. I didn't know your lathe had that kind of capacity. ;)

Congrats on a great tool. I have the 1000SE, so I know how accurate the miter head is. I added a sacrificial face to the fence on mine that acts as a vertical zero clearance device to help prevent blowout on the back of the cut. The addition of the tables on the 5000 is another leap forward. :thumb: