The small shop of Rod True

Rod True

Well, I think I'm following the order of operations for a new member of the forum correctly, post in the introduction section, than give the shop tour right :D.

I built the shop with only building guitars in mind (and maybe the odd other thing here or there) so it's certainly not set up for cabinets or large items, although I did build some of my 12' boat (the red flat bottom beside the shop) in it as well as a 10' entertainment unit of sorts, just had to be creative with the space.

The shop is irregular in shape (not square or rectangle), 185 sft total and I have two walls that are 16' long, one that is 14' long and the other is 10' long, the two back corners are not 90* (I don't have a site plan otherwise I'd put that in too, sorry Frank). Not that there will be much to miss from the pictures. The shop is detached, built on a concrete slab and sites at the back of my lot.

Front of the shop (14' wall)
2007-12-31_154644_shop_dec_2007_001.jpg

The shop is fully insulated and finished with OSB sealed with 3 coats of zinsser's sealer. I have 60 amps of power (only 110V though). I have 8 - 4' florescent lights mounted on the ceiling (and one task light at the bench) which gives me lots of light. I have two electric baseboard heaters which do a great job of heating the shop. I also have a small a/c unit built into one wall, near the ceiling (helps keep the RH down in the summers) and I have a small portable humidifier for the winter months. Overall I've been able to maintain my RH between 40-50% (guitar specific RH specs)with the a/c and the humidifier.

Looking in through the door
2007-12-31_154731_shop_dec_2007_002.jpg

As far as tools go, I have an older delta unisaw (original 1HP motor) which I added a new fence (I designed it based on the biesemeyer type fence) which I had made by a metal working friend I have (he also made the drum sander). The fence allows me to cut up to 36" (but the shop doesn't :dunno:) Still need to add a table over the fence, and maybe a fold down out feed table. I don't cut sheets of plywood anyway (get them cut at the lumber store for most of what I need) so the out feed table isn't needed.
More tools, I have a homemade 24" drum sander, 1HP 5" dia drum (steel turned by a pro machinist for $20 and a case of beer). I have a small 1HP dc hooked up to the sander (although I want to make a small cyclone for it soon) which takes care of the dust.

Also to tackle the dust, I made an air cleaner which hangs from the ceiling. I got a furnace fan, bought the replacement filter from Lee Valley and made the box to suit. This thing really sucks :D and cleans my air about 40x's an hour.

OK, this is getting to be a long tour for such a small shop. The rest of the tools, 14" delta bandsaw (need to get the lower door back on it I know), 8" bench top drill press and what I call a semi-knock down spray booth with explosion proof fan (need to seal the light in there too).

I have one bench as you can see and what a luthier (I'm no luthier) calls a go-bar deck for clamping (see pics).

Go-bar deck in action, gluing the top on a guitar
2008-01-11_180316_shop_pics_014_Small.jpg

more pictures

Just inside the door you see the table saw, bandsaw and spray booth area.
2007-12-31_154839_shop_dec_2007_003.jpg

Standing at the table saw looking toward the bench, you see the go-bar deck (guitar body sitting on it) with the loft area above.
2007-12-31_155049_shop_dec_2007_004.jpg

Looking toward the door from the semi-knock down spray booth, you see the rest of the bench and my thickness sander
2007-12-31_155218_shop_dec_2007_005.jpg

Storage in a small shop is really key. When I built the shop I knew I wanted some sort of loft for storage as well as the top side of the go-bar deck. Efficiency is key when you have a small space. The other thing I decided I didn't need was windows (I don't get to work in there during daylight hours anyway) which really gives a lot of wall space for jig storage as well as cabinets and other storage units. So here are some of the ways I've made my small space more spacious.

The loft (you can see I have lots of space for more guitar wood :thumb: )and the upper cabinet

2007-12-31_155728_shop_dec_2007_006.jpg

And than the semi-knock down spray booth. Two doors with poly on which close inward to allow for more space. You can see the filter box below and inside is my explosion proof fan. Also I made a storage cabinet which can hold two guitars and two necks while curing after spraying.
2007-12-31_161318_shop_dec_2007_019.jpg

2007-12-31_161338_shop_dec_2007_018.jpg

2007-12-31_161353_shop_stuff_017.jpg

Thanks for taking the tour :rofl: of which it would take less time to actually do versus reading this thread. I hope it helps someone with some ideas. I know it's a small shop built specifically for guitars, but it's mine all mine and I love it.

Here's a phrase I coined for my small shop (cause I have to remind myself all the time)

Have what you need, use what you have. :thumb:

It is a great shop, perfect for the nice work you are turning out. I bought the "bible" for guitar making but alas, it is difficult. I haven't given up though, I've started studying how to play.

Thought it would be a shame to make one and not be able to play it...:dunno:

Great use of small space, good layout and custom built tools, cool:thumb: you certainly know what you need for your guitar creations, also looking forward to seeing one! It would be fun to create a guitar, except I do not have that kind of tallent, I cheated and made a visit to gibson.

Welcome!
Tom

Very nicely done!!

Just to let you know, my Dungeon is 322 square feet, and not really at that, as I have the corners half gone with the stumps of the deep into the ground pilings so I I feel your pain on a small work space, but it looks like to me, that you have it kitted out for the task at hand.

The spray booth is a great idea, wish I had a corner I could put something like that in!

Cheers!

I think you and Stu take the prize for smallest shops.

Everytime I get depressed about the size of my garage I think of Stu's dungeon and then I dont feel so bad.

Now I have another shop to inspire me.

BTW, I play the guitar so I can appreciate your art.

Guitar Finishes

Hey Rod,
I enjoyed your shop tour, I'm in the process of building a solid bodied 12 string electric guitar, my 2nd, the 1st was a 6 string about 25 years ago. I got the bug again. I was wondering what you like for a finish? I was thinking about either lacquer or polyurethane, do you have any other recommendations?

I'm using Bocote for the body, with a maple neck I'm using a manufactured neck, I'm not ready to tackle that part yet, maybe next one.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Dan, I'm jealous. That looks like it's gonna be a sweet axe.

I think most guys are using nitrocellulose lacquer for guitar bodies. I've also read of some using waterborne finishes like Target Ultima Spray Lacquer (USL). I've use USL on some turned work, and it's very durable, it has 100% burn-in (unlike many waterborne finishes) and can be rubbed out and polished much like nitro lacquer.

welcome rod and you have made the best use of the room you have to work with:thumb: and i never noticed you got a unsquare shop:) the use of the shelf to do your clamping is unique , well done:thumb:

welcome rod and you have made the best use of the room you have to work with:thumb: and i never noticed you got a unsquare shop:) the use of the shelf to do your clamping is unique , well done:thumb:

Great tour Rod! Is that a shop made surface sander? Can we see some more pics of it?

I liked the spray booth. That gives me a lot of ideas.
You guys realize the original thread was from about a year ago? :D

I hope Rod's still hanging out...I'd love to see pics of what he's been building in the last year. ;)