Scrap Snowdrifts - A Fixture

glenn bradley

I've posted before about how the LOML will bring me junk wood from the warehouse where she directs vendor relations. Friday she brought me about a dozen sheets of this:

Deb-Wood-Scrap.jpg

It's just PB but the surfaces are very smooth. Used to separate pallets of stuff in the trucks and staging areas.

Anyway, slammed this together for the cost of a little glue and some brads.

Outfeed-Scrap-Bin-1.jpg

Now those snowdrifts of scraps that aren't big enough for the real scrap bin and not small enough to toss (yet) have somewhere to go besides under my feet.

Outfeed-Scrap-Bin-2.jpg

glenn,

The shelving is cool, but....I really like your corner clamp jigs! :thumb: Gotta make some of them.

Thanks Greg. I made those and some larger ones back before I even knew about WWing forums and knew even less about what kind of work I might end up doing. They have come in handy so many times I can't count them. My TS sled makes it easy to get perfect 90*. The connecting angle doesn't need to be perfect. Make the round holes big enough to fit the tip of a spring clamp into. This feature really helps to hold it 'almost' in position while you clamp them down.

Even when not needing to get a square corner they come in handy as a third hand (along with a couple of spring clamps). Niki's tutorial has a great method of building them quickly and accurately.

Great idea, Glenn. I need to do something similar to that...yours has given me some good ideas. :thumb:

Sometimes if I just look around, all of the sudden I'll see some space that could be better used. It's a great way to get that stuff I'm always tripping over, out of the way, but still accessible. That space used to be full of coffee cans that held my rubber gloves and some plastic bowls I use for 'whatever'; a real waste of space.

Of course my floor isn't quite so pretty :D.

Very nice solution Glann

I mean, if one have the space...I don't have and I keep all the scraps in buckets and cardboard boxes and every time I have to "dig" to see what I have:eek:.

The corner clamps are very good idea, I use 1/4" thick plywood triangles when I need....
I could not see the corners on the picture but I believe that you rounded them not to get into the glue squeeze-out....
I have to make a few from some thicker solid wood.....at the spring...

Regards
niki