Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Vase

Another Vase

Last one for a while. I have to go back offshore to the day job tomorrow.

More spalted Red Elm. This one is a bit fatter at 8" tall x 5 1/4" wide. I had some cracking around the opening so I turned it away and added a Walnut collar. Finish is a coat of Danish Oil, dried and followed by a coat of Mylands and Renaissance wax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatVase 003.jpg   FatVase 004.jpg   FatVase 005.jpg  
    Cody

I lie it, Cody. And I like the addition of the collar.

Cody that is a beauty. I really like the collar. Finish looks great. Nice job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice job, Cody. That red elm sure is pretty, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice work Cody! Beautiful wood grain and color! I do like this form - not to heavy looking and seems balanced to me. The collar works and is a nice use of a dark contrasting wood. Again - nice work!
    Steve

Hey Cody, you've really got your hollow forms nailed! Like the others, the collar really sets the piece off but I have one small critique regarding it. To my eye, I'd have liked it to curve in a bit so the line from the body blends in to it more smoothly.

That's a gorgeous HF, Cody. You're getting way too good at this!

Thanks for the kind comments. As usual, you guys are very supportive and encouraging. it's appreciated.

Gari, thanks for the critique. I appreciate it because that's the only way I can improve.
    Cody

Nicely done Cody!

What do you do on oil rigs? I broke out roughnecking in '65. I worked morning tower and went to hs days. My father, a driller, died on the floor of a rig in '72. My brother roughnecked and drilled. He got out of the field, went to college, got a degree and works for a natural gas company.
    Ken
    ------

Ken, I had no idea you were oilfield trash, too.

I'm a Company Man...they call us Well Site Leaders nowadays. I started roughnecking for Delta Drilling Company in Tyler, Texas back in October, 1972. I was a floorhand, derrickman, driller and then got a job as a drilling/completion supervisor. I changed companies in 1985 and started working offshore deepwater in 1991. I've sort of specialized in deepwater development projects since then. I changed companies again in 1996 and am still with that bunch today.

Currently, I'm working on a deepwater development project in the Gulf of Mexico, Southern Green Canyon block. We're about 130 miles out working in 6,800 ft. water depth. It's all cutting edge technology and light years away from that East Texas land rig that I started out on.

Everything on this rig is automated. The driller's station is in a climate controlled cabin, he sits in a "Captain's Chair" and the controls are three touch-screen computers. Instead of a brake handle, he has a joystick, just like in a computer game.

That's just a sample of how the equipment has changed, although I hear that on some E.T. rigs, they still throw a spinning chain. The guys out here don't even know what one looks like.
    Cody