Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood mag cutting board

wood mag cutting board

This cutting board is based on the wood magazine plan in the October issue. The woods are hard maple, cherry and brazilian cherry. Itís approximately 1.25 in thick. 11.5 wide by about 15 long. It's an end grain board. The finish is mineral oil.

This was a fun project to do because my 6 yr. old son helped. He was in charge of clamp tightening and getting glue all over himself and me. I was informed that this one was going to be a Christmas present for his teacher. I had enough wood left over to make a second. My 10-year-old daughter helped me start the glue-up to make one for her teacher for Christmas.

Thanks for looking!

John,
    Classy looking cutting board. How did you glue it up?

Brian

Hi John, I remember seeing that board in Wood Mag. You did it justice. Very nice looking chop board. The teachers will love them.

Those are so cool that I had to quickly close the window they were in before my wife walked by and saw them

VERY neat!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very cool John - cherry, maple, Brailian cherrry, cherry, maple, Brazilian cherry, cherry maple. Usually I use two varieties in varying sizes.

Very nice John, I think yours looks better than the one in Wood Magazine.

Ken

Yea, I have to say that is good looking. My sister is a chef and sometimes a personal chef. I have been wanting to make her some nice looking boards so when she goes to clients home to cook for them.

Very nice!

Nice Board

John,

That looks great, what did you use to finish?? I have used mineral oil in the past, but I was wondering about the difference between that and something like Watco's salad bowl oil.

Dan

Nice job, John. I doubt most teachers get that nice of gifts from their students. Here in SoCal, the wood costs alone would be almost a day's pay for a teacher.

After somewhat of a hiatus, I'm back into cutting board mode myself...I've got four more in the clamps right now, including three for a repeat customer and a big end grain maple black for a nephew who's in culinary school.

Thanks for posting -
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McGuire View Post
    John,

That looks great, what did you use to finish?? I have used mineral oil in the past, but I was wondering about the difference between that and something like Watco's salad bowl oil.

Dan
    Dan, I've not heard of Watco Salad Bowl Oil, but there are several "salad bowl" finishes available (General makes one of them) that are, as far as I can tell, just another oil/urethane mix. With any finish like this, there will always be a surface membrane that will eventually wear and need refreshening. Mineral oil finishes also need to be refreshed from time to time, but there is no membrane on the surface to wear out. I should mention that the claims of "food safe" by finish manufacturers are just Marketing in action. AFAIK, any modern membrane finish is "food safe" once it's fully cured. I've read arguments on both sides of the coin, but haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.

I've made quite a few cutting boards, and I prefer a plain ol' oil finish instead of a membrane finish. (I've used both.) Some folks prefer walnut oil, or a mineral oil/paraffin mix. I simply use mineral oil because it's inexpensive, effective, and available just about anywhere. It's also easy for my customers to find so they can "freshen up" the boards as needed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com