A Fun Evening in the Shop

And this is what was left...

First Walnut NE Bowl 22 - 800.jpg

First Walnut NE Bowl 24 - 800.jpg

First Walnut NE Bowl 23 - 800.jpg

This was a fresh walnut blank from the Mr. Natural, Mark (NE) Cothren. I had a blast with this piece. It's soaking in alcohol now, and I'll finish turn it in a few weeks.

Ever think of hanging a shower curtain or two :D

I'm looking at doing that in my new lathe parking spot, might keep the mess more contained...... maybe :rolleyes: :D

Sure is a nice looking chunk of wood! :wave:

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibilities of shower curtains. (Hmmm...pink flamingos might look dashing in there.) I can also move the lathe out a bit more towards the middle of the room, which would at least keep much of the stuff off the grinder/drill press bench. The other small benchtop is on my rolling steel cabinet, and that'll likely be next to the lathe no matter how I have things set up.

I'm going to try to stay caught up on the cleaning, and not let the chips build up too deep. Tonight it only took me about 10 or 15 minutes to clean it all up with a broom and a shop vac...the grinder bench ended up cleaner than I started.

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibilities of shower curtains. (Hmmm...pink flamingos might look dashing in there.)
Yup. I've also thought of hanging plastic sheets around the sides and rear of the lathe so that the cleanup is only in one direction
I can also move the lathe out a bit more towards the middle of the room, .....
I do that also ... I drag the lathe out into the middle of the garage leaving me as much free space for chips as possible - biggest trouble is that the space is limited
Tonight it only took me about 10 or 15 minutes to clean it all up with a broom and a shop vac. .....
I use a chunk of 4" DC flex tubing as a chip vac. I find that it works better than the small shop vac hose for gathering up lathe shavings. My DC is a small portable one, but for those folks with fixed DC's, a coupe of tubing drops with gates and a chunk of flex hose to slip onto the drop should work just fine - it also vac's a heck of a lot faster then the small shop vac.

BTW - nice start to the bowl!!

cheers eh?

Hi Vaughn :wave:,
Good as you are with words, the sequence of photos saves you for another day. Thanks for the visual explanation and a marvelous piece in the end.

Seeing it done this way could make a flat man think:rolleyes: of going round some day, but just for the day.:rofl:
Shaz :)

Nice work, Vaughn! Next time you drive thru Pickles Gap I'll load your truck up with some more of that woood. Looks like you get along with Arky Walnut just fine...

As to the shower curtain... I tried that... but I end up throwing shavings about 19 different ways (including up and down) when I'm turning and I don't think any mortal configuration of shower curtains can contain the carnage. So I just let 'er buck...

Looks like fun Vaughn! My dad put up curtains to keep heat in, don't know if it's helped the chips from flying everywhere.

Nice chunck of wood Vaughn, oh yeah and to clean up a lot of shavings, but that's a part of the game. BTW. very good remark of Stuart about plastic sheets.

Looks like quite the setup! Nice chunk of wood! Gonna make one heck of a bowl! As far as shower curtains... I have a large canvas tarp hung up in back of me while turning and that helps prevent shavings from going all over the shop. It actually does cut down on cleanup time.

Great setup Vaughn. I tried the curtain and it doesn't really save much. I took mine down and as was said let the chips fall where they may. I am a turning shop. I bought a couple of big towels to put over like the grinder and buffing station. Then just pick up the towels and shake them off with everything clean underneath.

VAUGHN IS BACK!!!!!!! Looks like you still have some minor tweaking to do on the orientation of the shop. Welcome back to the sawdust clan.

Shaz, be careful what you wish for, it is a very slippery slope and fit with perils, dragons and such. Flat is much easier to orient.

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)
...Looks like you still have some minor tweaking to do on the orientation of the shop...
Right now I've got it arranged so the big tools I use regularly (lathe, bandsaw, and tablesaw) are all out in the open and ready to use, and all the other tools that I don't use very often are crammed off to one side. If I need something (like the jointer, which I use only maybe 4 or 5 times a year) I can wheel it out into the open and use it. So far it's working out better this way. More space in general, and easier to move around in it.

...How are the wheels workin out?
Exactly what the doctor ordered. :thumb: Solid as a rock with the feet down, moves very easily on the wheels with the feet up. I ran this blank up to about 750 rpm just to see how much jumping I could get out of the lathe. It shook, but it stayed in place. (I wouldn't have attempted to actually turn this blank at that speed.) At the 200 - 450 rpm I was using to turn it, it was very stable.

EXCELLENT Vaughn!!! Way to get that Mustard broke in right!

But what is this "clean-up" folks speak of?????? Is that something people that have to work do?:p:p

Nice work, Vaughn! Next time you drive thru Pickles Gap I'll load your truck up with some more of that woood. Looks like you get along with Arky Walnut just fine...

As to the shower curtain... I tried that... but I end up throwing shavings about 19 different ways (including up and down) when I'm turning and I don't think any mortal configuration of shower curtains can contain the carnage. So I just let 'er buck...

I'll vouch for Marks generosity...................and ability to make a mess:eek: