A Fun Evening in the Shop

Very nice!!! Way to make the shop a mess! ;) I always find that after doing things like that and cleaning up, it ends up tidier than when I started.

That's really a great-looking bowl. It may be that I just fell off the turnip-turning truck, but that is a very nice turning.

Vaughn,

I'm still yellow with envy over that lathe, and what you can do with it, and the whole new shop setup. That's going to be a nice piece when you get done.

On silly question: won't the DNA tend to loosen the bark? Are you worried it will fly off when you respin?

Thanks,

Bill

...On silly question: won't the DNA tend to loosen the bark? Are you worried it will fly off when you respin?
Not a silly question at all. Since this is my first natural edge bowl, I'm going by the advice of others. (If anything goes wrong on this bowl, it's all Mark Cothren's fault. And of course if it all works out, I'm a genius.) :p I was advised to handle it carefully right after the DNA to avoid breaking off any of the bark. The bark does soften somewhat while it's in the DNA bath, but it hardens back up as it drys, and apparently adheres to the cambium OK, too. Of course when I re-turn it I'll need to be real careful and gentle with my cuts.

From the feel of it today, I'm guessing in another week or so it should be dry enough to finish up. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.