what to make from ambrosia maple square?

I was at my local hardwood dealer the other day getting a few boards. I was talking to him and noticed sitting on a stack of maple a 4.5-inch square by 36 in. piece of Ambrosia Maple. It was great looking stuff. It was what the bundle of maple came banded to. I told him what it was. He said he didn’t have a use for it and gave it to me.

My question is, what would you do with it?

John, your new here so I think you'll be forgiven. You have GOT to post a pic or two of something like that. Didn't you read the family member handbook? The picture police will fine you bigtime for no pics of something like that. We wanna see, we wanna see.

:D :D :D

Do you turn? I'll bet that some of the turners would love that piece.

Goodness, he GAVE it to you :eek:

Go buy a lottery ticket! :D

Lots you could do with it, yeah, it could be turned into a few things :rolleyes:

and I have to agree with Mark (ouch!) we would love to see some pics! :thumb:

Cheers!

Hi John,

That's not unusual at all around my parts. They use ambrosia maple to make pallet skids and strapping skids all the time. Ambrosia maple turns very nicely so, if you have a lathe, make some "spiny" stuff. Also, most of the wood that is used for strapping is not dry so, treat it like its fresh cut unless you know otherwise (like with a moisture meter).

I put chunks like that in the pile for pedestal tables - stuff like Shaker candlestands, etc. Add a little more ambrosia maple, and you are all set to go. Of course, you might need a lathe...:D

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I have never made a lidded box before. I think I’ll give it a try after the Christmas rush.

Bill, I have a Jet mini. I also have your first video. I really like it and often refer to it for tips.

Here are a couple pics of the wood. I jointed one face to see what it looked like. It looks pretty good, especially for free wood.

Attachments

• amborsia.jpg
    amborsia.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ambrosia 1.jpg
    ambrosia 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
John, I think the lidded box idea is a good one. I really like Ambrosia Maple. It makes a fine looking turning, be it a box, bowl or whatever you care to spin. Here is a bowl I turned a while back.

Attachments

• Ambrosia bowl.jpg
    Ambrosia bowl.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 9