Ruler that measures in 1/10"'s?

Jeff Horton

I started looking at the panel developments for the kayak last night. Realized that it develops and dimensions everything in decimal/tenths of an inch. It would be simpler and less much likely to make a mistake if I just found a good ruler that measures in tenths.

I am sure someone makes a ruler or tape. Just figure someone knows off the top of their head.

If I couldn't find one, it really simple to change it to metric and just work with that.

Trying to convert each measurement to fractions is simple but it's to darn easy to make a mistake converting them

Depends on how Long the pieces you want to measure. I do know that a standard Engineer's scale is in 1/10 incriments. Look in the direction of Engineering. Civil engineering, etc. Sorry I can't offer an answer but perhaps a lead...

I can custom make you one in any increment, the one exception is that the maximum length would only be 44", that is the max length of my imagesetter. (spot on accurate) I don't think that that short length would be of much help with the length of your kayak. If it would be of any help, let me know.

Tom

Most any surveying supply store (or many drafting supply stores) should have rules and tapes in decimal feet. It does make sense for you to use a decimal system since your calcs are all in decimal, too.

I think if you are going to measure in tenths of inches you may as well go with metric system which is based on units of 10. I have some digital calipers and they measure in hundreths of a millimeter. For thicknessing, stringing, banding etc. they are spot on.

Stanley

Stanley # 61-112 - this is an old one that I have. Newer one listed below.

12 foot decimal tape measure.

Decimal use is standard in Aircraft building. Take a look at a aircraft homebuilders supply company like Aircraft Spruce and Supply. They have them.

STANLEY DECIMAL INCH TAPE MEASURE

This 12-ft. steel tape measure with 1/2 inch blade is graduated in tenths and hundredths of inches and also in fractions of inches (32nds). Very handy for all aircraft construction. A must for building composite aircraft.

View more details
33-272 STANLEY TAPE MEASURE #33-272 $16.40

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/measuringdevices.html

Let me offer a different perspective....

I think a special tape is certainly the way to go here, but I might add a fractional or metric calculator to the mix. You know, the ones that convert from inches and feet, to metric and cubic feet and all that? Very handy.

Most of these yachts we build are for billionaires from other countries. Most dimensions are in standard, but quite often we have to build to metric sizes too. Here is one huge piece of advice. Be prepared for lots of double-measured, rechecking and a overal longer build.

The reason is this. When a standard dimension says 2'-4½", you throw your tape down, mark and cut the board. You have done it so much you know just about what a 28½". Just looking at it, you know if you the board you just cut is close to that length. Now since you don't work with metric or 1/10th that much, how long is a 550mm board? Now you got to dig out your tape and double check it. That takes a lot longer because you do this a lot.

Working with different measurement systems is a good experience though. Just frustrating at times and lots of double-checking. Best of luck to you.

I guess I'm lucky, I grew up with both systems and I am perfectly comfortable with both, that being said, the metric system is a LOT easier to deal with, in many ways, as it IS all based on units of 10. :dunno:

Good luck! :wave:

Stu, I've dealt with a fair amount of decimal feet (back in my civil engineering days), and they are about as easy to think with as metric. In some ways decimal feet are better, since you can still say "half a foot" and people don't look at you with the same confused look they get when you say "half a dodecahedron", or whatever it is you metric guys say. :p

Seriously, decimal feet are a snap to work with. Very similar to metric, just a different (but still familiar to us Yanks) base unit.

Back in a previous life when I was a mechanical designer. The the last ..... well can't say that. the last place I worked that was the the straw that broke my back, did a lot of work for GM. It was a confusing system they used. All the car parts were dimensioned in metric system. The Tooling was Imperial/English and that of course meant a lot of converting dimensions.

Then when we designed gages to check the parts were ALL METRIC. so we were constantly back and forth.

I can work with either but I wouldn't say I was exactly comfortable with Metrics. Like Travis said, I don't know what 550 CM is. I still have to look at tape or grab my calculator.

I think the Metric system is better and simpler, just going to be hard to ever get us to change over. Till they start teaching and using it in schools it just isn't going to happen.

I had forgotten about Civil Eng. tools being in tenths. I have a 12" scale in tenths somewhere. But I do need something longer for the initial layout.