Convertible baby changing table

Dewayne Baker

I designed and built this changing table for our Son two years ago. I fashioned the design shapes after a commercial piece my wife and I liked. I wanted the table to continue to have a useful function after a changing table is out grown. The piece easily converts to a small dresser by removing the top front rail and adding a top as well as three more drawers. The first shot is the changing table mode and the second is dresser mode.

Changingtableversion2alt.JPG

Changingtableconverted.JPG

I wrote a complete project plan for this piece and it was published in woodcraft magazine October / November "06" issue. This was my first attempt at a published project plan.
Woods used are quarter sawn white oak, African mahogany and mahogany crotch veneer. finish is oil and polyurethane.

Dewayne, I built a sleigh crib for the great grand daughter last year and I saw your plan in a book and going to make the dresser this summer, both will be out of cherry. Very nice plan and I want to thank you.
Bob

Dwayne,
That is a very nice piece.. but I am curious as to how you install the bottom 2 drawers.. is the slide mounted on the top of the bottom drawer some how..??
I am still a rookie.. so some things are not as obvious to me..??

Doug

Doug, The drawers are mounted with full extension slides. The slides are installed when it's time for the remaining drawers. Premade story sticks make installation easy.