Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw ?'s

Gilbert, AZ

Bandsaw ?'s

I have a Grizzly G0580, 14" 3/4hp and it's time for a new blade. I am thinking of putting the riser block on so I figure might as well buy the longer bands and do the whole thing at once.
    My question is, Do you think the 3/4hp will be enough when I put the 105" x1/2" 3tpi band on? I use it mostly rounding bowl blanks and the "quick cuts". What will be the difference in operation or finish or ? in a 2 tpi or 3 tpi band? I plan on using Timberwolf blades.

>>Enter witty saying here<<

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I'm sure there are other experiences but on my 1/3HP C-man 12", I ran a 2-3 TPI 1/2" Timberwolf and got good results considering the saw. Resaw height was 6" and as I approached that the saw would bog down if I tried to go more than about 1/2" per second.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-17-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Kevin,

While I'm no bandsaw expert, I believe the HP question has more to do with cut height than blade width or tpi - though perhaps that's what you're asking in a way. You'll have no trouble running a 1/2" - 3tpi blade with 3/4 HP, but you might find that a 6" thick cut makes it grunt a lot. I think most tall saws, both riser and stock, tend to use 1 to 1 1/2 HP minimum and up to 3 HP on the stock 16" saws.

St. Louis, MO
    Older saws with riser blocks set up for resaw often had 3/4hp or smaller motors on them. You should be fine if you slow your feed rate down as your cuts get taller and in harder wood. It's not a "commercial" setup, but you probably don't need to feed a ton of lineal feet of resawing through the machine each day to make the thing earn its keep. For a hobbyist, 3/4 hp should be fine. Force feeding thick cuts through this machine will lead to other problems as well, not just undo strain on the motor. Take it easy - let the machine do it's work and you should be fine.

I've got an old Crescent 20" saw with a 1" 3tpi blade and a 1hp motor. It will resaw up to just a hair under 12". For most tasks it's fine, but the taller cuts in harder wood do require me to slow down the feed rate a bit - pay more attention to what i'm doing. The cut quality doesn't suffer, i'm just standing at the saw a few seconds longer for each cut - big deal.

Before i got the 20" saw, i was occassionally resawing up to 8" tall with a 1/2" 4tpi blade and a 1/2 hp motor on a smaller, off brand saw. That saw was never meant to resaw, but if i didn't force things, it worked fine. I didn't upgrade my saw because of any dissatisfaction, the Crescent fell in my lap - free for the taking.

This is my hobby, not my job. I enjoy my time in the shop. I try to speed up or avoid tasks i don't like (such as sanding), but sawing isn't one of them.

If it were me (and i know it's not) i'd go with the riser kit if i thought i'd use it. Then, if you really get frustrated with the motor, you can always upgrade that as well at a later date.

I guess the other option would be to spend no effort upgrading your saw and look into bigger, more powerful machines, but that seems like a stretch for someone who just needs a new blade.

If you're wearing out blades, that's good - you're getting your money's worth from your saw.

have fun with it.

Paul Hubbman

Tokyo Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hubbman View Post
    ............If it were me (and i know it's not) i'd go with the riser kit if i thought i'd use it. Then, if you really get frustrated with the motor, you can always upgrade that as well at a later date. ...............

Paul Hubbman
    I think this is excellent advice.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The Heart of Dixie
    I have the same or similar saw. Never cared to memorize all these numbers. I have the riser and have cut some big stuff with a Timberwolf blade. Mine is more like 6 teeth I think. But it does fine. Never had a problem. With harder woods it's just going to take some more time but I don't think you will have any problems. Just work smart.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Gilbert, AZ
    Good advice guys, Thanks.
    I just didn't want to hear, that it would be a pig and wouldn't even cut the grass. I tend to be pretty easy on equipment so it sounds like I should be fine. I really don't do any resawing mostly just turning stuff but but a lot of my blanks don't quite fit and I want to add a table that will take up a little height also.
    >>Enter witty saying here<<

ABQ NM
    Kevin, I think the 3/4hp should be fine, especially if you're just rounding out turning blanks. As far as blade selection, I just called the folks at Suffolk Machinery and told them I wanted something for cutting green bowl blanks. They set me up with the right blade -- I don't even remember the details about it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

University Place, WA
    I think if it was me and only using it for turning blanks I would go with a 3/8 3 tpi blade, less blade for the curves = less resistance.

PS. I will add, I keep a 1/2 inch on my Jet 1 hp with riser and there is no way I could cut a 10 inch thick blank following a 12 inch circle, I just cut the corners as needed till it is close to round.
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 01-18-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    My G0555 has a 1 hp motor. I have cut quite a bit of Osage Orange at the 6" max using a 3/4"X3tpi Timberwolf blade. It cut well but I could have had problems if I forced. Patience was required. Personally, I would not add the riser block. I believe a
    14" bandsaw is designed to do what a 14" bandsaw is intended to do and adding the riser will stress beyond that intention. BTW, my next resaw blade will be a 4 tpi as cutting thinner pieces, like 1" caused catches. Not good.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire