Somebody Build This!

Dave Richards

WardConsole1.jpg

I designed this piece for a friend. Too modern for him. I thought if someone else was interested, I'd flesh out the design.

That's my problem, too. I don't know that I could get away with it in our house either. wouldn't go with the early Salvation Army decor. :rofl: Well, come to think of it, if I did use a packing crate....

I really like it Dave. We need a new dresser, but like you, I'm not sure if it'd work with our existing stuff. (We have a late 20th century hand-me-down theme at our place.) Still, I'll show it to LOML and see if it sparks any interest. I still can never tell what furniture designs she'll like and which ones she won't.

I see that being built with Curly Maple and Ebony legs/bands... Should be outstanding. Nix the metal as it is to retro 60's Neo design.

I like the design but have spent awhile moving my house towards mission and A&C. LOML is anti-clean-line on almost anything so I guess I'm not your guy but I do like it.

Hey, stop picking on Dave! ;)

Dave, looks to me like the sort of stuff that Mark Singer has built and posted over the years.

...art

(ps: sorry, not really my style either)

Now that I think about it, maybe there is some Mark Singer in this piece.

Actually, I was thinking that it could easily be converted into a wood stroage rack or even a steam box for bending wood. The drawing is at a point where it could very easily be turned into just about anything.

Art, thanks for defending me. ;) I appreciate that although I have been laughing at the comments myself.

Style aside, I wouldn't be able to build the legs, nor know where to get them. Actually, that isn't entirely true, I know that Matt Meiser can work metal, but I'm not sure how he is on Stainless Steel...

And if you stand on your head, it sort of looks like something that you could suspend from the ceiling...

Ooh! Ooh! Dave, you should plop a 42" LCD tv on top of that console, which might give some more idea as to just what it'd look like. Well, and some hardwood, an area rug, and a leather sofa too to complete the look. Then it might entice someone.

okay, I'll stop.

Art, that's not a bad idea. The guy who asked me todraw something up wants to put a flat screen TV on it. Of course his is only a 15". (where's the squnity eyed smilie when you need it?)

I did have stainless in mind--guess it comes from working in a hospital--but if I were going to build it, I might used steel and have it powder coated.

Personally, I like the look of stainless steel and wood, and I also really like clean modern lines a la Mark Singer. LOML, on the other hand, isn't very adventurous when it come to style. I'm still not sure what our house would look like if we went out and bought all new furniture. Probably some type of nondescript Danish modern stuff. :rolleyes:

Probably some type of nondescript Danish modern stuff. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I think that's where the client for whom I sketched this is heading. The guy who will build the piece--not me--seems to treat everything he bulds to a 3/8" radius round over or bull nose. :rolleyes:

This is kind of fun. Maybe I'll have to try this again with another idea.

Dave,

I REALLY like it. If I were single or had a different wife, I would go for it. As things are, I have to say it is great but not for this house.

Don't we have anyone in Family Woodworking who likes clean lines except me? We sound like a bunch of fuddie duddies. ((I would put in a "Smilely" icon if I knew how))

Enjoy,

Jim