Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspection nightmares

Inspection nightmares

Hi All, I was sent this link and just had to share it with everyone. Nothing more than just something to shake your head over.

http://www.inspektech.com/inspectionnightmare.pdf
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

YUP! I have seen quite a few of those. Should have saved the photos in a seperate file so I could show them off too.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Some of those are downright criminal. It never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people are.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yea these come from an insurance inspector. I mean how do you convince someone that you should get insurance for some of these feats of brilliance?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Okay, after seeing that why oh why is my wifes house so hard to inspect? Every time we get a potential buyer the home inspector finds something wrong which makes the buyer decide not to buy. Then we fix what he suggested, only to have another home inspector point out something else. For a 1820's home, that is a lot of stuff to fix.

As for some of the pictures, like the tin-foil, they should be bopped on the forehead like those V-8 commercials do. Some of them I did not see a problem with though, like the tree used for a post. I doubt there is a house older than 50 years old here in Maine that did not have post like that. The same goes for the chimney on the addition. Someone added on but instead of removing the chimney they merely capped it off with bricks. Again I don't have a problem with that as long as the heater was removed from inside.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Yeah, I'd agree with Travis that some of the pics were odd, but not horribly unsafe. (The tree trunk column comes to mind.) Sometimes unorthodox methods can still work.

A long time ago I was adding a greenhouse wall to an existing patio, and I was lacking about 8" of lumber to finish out the form for the small concrete footing I was building it on. I ended up taking a cardboard box and filling it with dirt, then wedged the box into the footing trench so it'd roughly approximate the rest of the concrete form. I was laughing at myself as I did it, since, at the time, I was a civil engineering inspector, dealing with multi-million dollar concrete jobs. The cardboard box concrete form worked, BTW.

Still, I don't think I'd be putting a light switch in the shower stall.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Okay, after seeing that why oh why is my wifes house so hard to inspect? Every time we get a potential buyer the home inspector finds something wrong which makes the buyer decide not to buy. Then we fix what he suggested,...

This is a bit OT to the thread, but... if I was the buyer, I would only walk away if the the inspection pointed out "deal killer" problems. More minor stuff I would just be using as negotiating points to drop the price.

I had a buy walk on a perfectly acceptable house I inspected once because of the a crack in the drywall at the peak of a cathedral ceilings. It's hard not to have a crack there because all houses settle and move. But he didn't buy it because of it.

I walk a fine line when it come to something like that. I knew it was nothing but by telling my clients that I run the risk of what if I am wrong,so I just point out what I find and leave it up to them. Even when I know it is nothing.

I got a call from the same client about a month latter to inspect another house. This one was a rural home with a few acres of land. He admitted (in private) at that inspection that he didn't like the previous house and wanted in the country. So he was just looking for something wrong with that house.

I have been looking but I can't find the photo of one I did recently. The Fuse panel was inside the kitchen cabinets! Old, very old house and they just built the cabinets over the fuse box. No cover on it and it was in a corner cabinet so there was no reasonable access. No way to install a cover so the wiring was just exposed. One of the craziest I have seen in a while.

FOUND THE PHOTOS!

Notice how hard it was to get a photo. Imagine trying to shut it off in an Emegency!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_101_1080.JPG   tn_101_1081.JPG  
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 01-18-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post

This is a bit OT to the thread, but... if I was the buyer, I would only walk away if the the inspection pointed out "deal killer" problems. More minor stuff I would just be using as negotiating points to drop the price.
    I understand Art, its just that its a catch 22. You are not going to have the perfect house since its 200 years old, yet the modern houses lack the 200 old year charm of a cape home sitting on Turkey Cove. (Ocean).

But with todays housing market its all up to the buyer. We replaced the septic system, drilled a new well, redid the roof shingles, painted the place, redid the heater and redid the kitchen ceiling....everything the home inspectors suggested, but this all took money. Now we are in the 225,000 range, and here in Maine you can buy a lot of houses for that price, on the ocean or not. Any homes over 200,000 are not moving anyway so we wait....in the meantime we put 700 gallons of oil into the place to keep it warm all year even though no one lives there.

The joys of home ownership huh?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Remember guys this is an insurance inspector not a home inspectior. So things like the chimmney are an issue. It could be hooked up to an oil furnace or a gas furnace and with saying that why wouldn't you take it out at the time you were building the new addition on to the home?