Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messed up my shoulder...

Messed up my shoulder...

A few weeks ago as you remember, I hit a rock going across that lake on my snowmobile. I thought my sled and I faired well considering how fast and hard the sled hit the rock, and how hard I hit the ice and started doing cartwheels.

Well I knew I landed hard, but I play hard and thus figured it was nothing, just a little pain in my shoulder.

Well after 4 visits to my chiropractor, she said something she has never said in the 4 years that I have been seeing her. "There is nothing I can do for you."

Its odd because I have full range of motion, but my shoulder just hurts. Not like giving birth pain, but a constant, sharp ache that just never goes away. I can do anything with it, it just hurts when I do it.

She suggests I go see my regular doctor and go down the x-ray, MRI path, but we all know that is where you get co-payed to death. The shoulder is a pretty complex joint anyway so I think it just needs time to heal. I'm going to let it buck and see how I feel after snowmobile season is over with.

Its just kind of odd that I can move it around, it just hurts constantly and no amount of manual therapy, muscle stimulant therapy or ultra sound therapy is helping. Any idea what my issue is?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

ABQ NM
    I tore a rotator cuff in my shoulder playing softball years ago, and it caused a similar, constant pain for months and months. I had full motion, but it just hurt to do it. (Especially raising my elbow up to or beyond shoulder level.) The doctors said there wasn't much they could do for me other than wait and let it heal. Bad enough to hurt, but not bad enough for surgery.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    Old age

Sorry to hear it hurts, that sucks.

I really, REALLY wrecked my right shoulder when I was about 20 or so, kneeboarding behind a supercharged Big Block jet ski boat

A VERY long time in rehabilitation and my doctor told me it would be as good as it was ever going to get, about 80%, and every year after 40 I'd loose some of that

It bothers me everyday, it hurts there is nothing I can do about it, I just got used to it

I bet it will improve over time, but you might have done enough damage to it, that you will not get back to where you were.

I have found some decent relief with acupuncture (the Chinese kind with LONG needles, not the Japanese kind with short needles). When I had a lot of pain I'd go and get them to stick needles in me, and it would improve, but it never got "Better". Thing is it is about $50 a visit, so I only do it when I over do it somewhat.

Which shoulder?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    ... Any idea what my issue is?
    Yeah. You ain't 19 anymore. I can't speak for the medical state of your shoulder but you have damaged yourself. When you ain't 19 anymore and you damage yourself it hurts more and takes longer to stop hurting. Sometimes it won't stop hurting until after you stop being able to feel pain. So that gives us all two choices. We can take a point of view that tries to limit our exposure to damage or we can take a point of view that limits the amount by which we allow pain and discomfort to bug us.

Personally I tried to take the former. I can still remember just before my 40th standing at the top of an icy ski slope and thinking "This isn't fun anymore. I am more scared of the risk of damage than I am excited by the prospect of the slope". So I don't ski anymore. (Never did that much but had always enjoyed it when I did).

About 3 years after that decision I slipped on the stairs and broke my ankle so comprehensively that I couldn't walk for nearly 6 months. I still get constant low level pain from the ankle but my surgeon (a leader in his field) says that anything he tries to do is as likely to cause harm as good. So I adjust. Keep it warm. Rest it when I can. Work it as much as makes sense. Stand on one leg and wobble about to exercise it and keep it as strong as possible. But the truth is that it doesn't matter what I do, for the rest of my life I will probably have some pain at some point every day because I once didn't pay proper attention when I walked down the stairs.

Adjust to it.

Travis, it sounds like you were lucky to get away from the accident as well as you did. Remember the old saying, if you are going to dance, you have to pay the fiddler. If you are going to play with big toys you have to expect problems that will cost you. So, get your bod to an orthopedic MD. Getting this problem properly handled may save you years of pain down the road.

And do be careful in the future.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Do go see a good orthopedic surgeon. Preferably one that specializes in shoulders. When I got my ATV, my son, an emergency room doctor, said I would have an accident with it and hurt myself. He was right. Only, my injury happened in the garage and I never got the engine started. The battery was down and I was pull starting. The engine missed a compressions stroke and my arm flew up at full strength and I heard, and felt, all the good things in the shoulder go pop. This was accompanied with considerable pain that lasted for several months. Yes, read that MONTHS. I toughed it out. A couple years later I saw a doctor. A muscle had been torn away from the bone and healed improperly. Now, I have almost no strength in certain positions. I used to be a pretty fair shot with the pistol. Today, I can't hold up a pistol in shooting position. Some days I can't lift a cup of coffee. Surgery cannot repair at this point. Go see the doctor. Pronto. Please.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Inside the Beltway

You should likely get it looked at. You'll probably have to anyway, and it might save time, pain, emotion, and hassle. Lots of us have had rotator cuff things. I've lived with a less than perfect left arm for the last 30 years, but it's way better than it was before I had it taken care of...

Salt Spring Island, BC Canada
    Ok Am I the only one who wants to ask How do you find a big rock in the middle of a lake covered with Ice? I mean it is a lake right?

Sorry to hear about the shoulder Travis. Wish that I could give some helpful advice about it other than " Be more careful out there " You do know that god put rocks all over the place and you just happened to find the only one in the middle of a lake. So this is a fanatstic stoke of luck. I'd buy a lottery ticket if I was you.

Tokiwadai, Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    I'd buy a lottery ticket if I was you.
    More insurance might be a better investment...

Delton, Michigan

its simple!!!

on the rock story i am not aware of maines lakes but in canda they grow big rocks in the lakes every where plenty of water and dirt below to make biguns,,, the lake had been drained for the landowners!!!! but you can have rocks in the middle of lakes for your arm there travis i have two co workers who live the way you and i do,, they had there fixed and are doing much better.. if yours is bad enough for surgery the surgeon can make it better usually... fortunatly mine isnt to the point where it is worth it yet!!! but i can tell ya that it wont get better with age!!!! all those littl bumps that we shook off befre will come back later!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!