Thread: need a new part

need a new part

for an old vice,, the part that holds the handle the approx 1" T fitin that the handle goes threw can i get just that part somewhere?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Maybe buy a cheap junk vise and take the part off. You could go to http://owwm.comand list under wanted items or go see a black smith and have one made.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    for an old vice,, the part that holds the handle the approx 1" T fitin that the handle goes threw can i get just that part somewhere?
    Larry can you get a picture of it, or describe what broke?

From the little that has been described it sounds like a bit of welding will get it back in shape. Most likely its cast iron, but I have had good luck welding cast iron. One trick I have used is to tig weld it, but rather then using cast iron tig wire, which I have NOT had good luck with, is to use stainless steel filler wire. The nickel in it seems to bond better to the cast iron.

Of course you cannot use this trick on any part that is going to polished as the dissimilar metals will show, but I doubt polishing a vice is likely.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

welding air???

well travis i agree that welding works when there is both parts but see i dont have the rest of it..and nickel is by all means the ticket for cast iron. at least with the little welding i have done. i rethought this threw a bit and might be able to get a 1" tee and take out the threads and make it work.. so thanks for the input folks..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well travis i agree that welding works when there is both parts but see i dont have the rest of it..and nickel is by all means the ticket for cast iron. at least with the little welding i have done. i rethought this threw a bit and might be able to get a 1" tee and take out the threads and make it work.. so thanks for the input folks..
    I think you're on the right track, Larry, 'cause I've seen a lot of old vices around farm and other shops with a pipe Tee welded on the screw, (it will be easy to weld also).

If you need help Larry, and the part is small enough, you can ship it to me and I can probably fix it. Considering my occupation, I am sure we can get the part fixed one way or the other. PM me if you need some help. No bother at all.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"