free - but sad about it

Frank Fusco

Yesterday (Thursday) I left my last session as a member of the Arkansas State Board of Nursing. Served 3 1/2 years as an appointee of then Governor Mike Huckabee. We now have a new Gov. and I'm not of his political persuasion. The work done on the Board is very important and I tried to make a significant contribution. The members and staff are top-notch individuals and I was proud to be part of what happened there. The work was stressful and the drive from my home tiring but I took great satisfaction in what I did. With that life phase behind me, I'm looking at other ways to serve the people of Arkansas. I'll, no doubt, confine my efforts to the local area. I do know I'm going to conduct seminars and do counseling for people who have family members in nursing homes or are considering placing one. I may also become an ombudsman for nursing home residents and their families. And, yes, I will leave myself time for the shop and working on my writing. 'Tis another life passage but I still shed a little tear over it ending.

Sorry to hear an important milestone has passed for you. Your plan to continue working with nursing issues is very commendable and needed. I've learned through recent experience that most of us a re not well-equipped (or informed) for dealing with the elderly care system.

Sorry Frank, feel for you.

My wife was Adult Cordinator in a nursing home for retarded.

She retired 3 years ago, they closed the place 6 months after she left, new governor.

They put 600 clients back on the streets, in private homes.
Was a major news issue here for a long time with pros and cons.

You and my wife are angels to work with those less fortunate.

Frank,

:clap::clap: For your service up till now!

:congrats::congrats: On your next step...

I may also become an ombudsman for nursing home residents and their families
That is a great idea, and one in which you just might make an even bigger contribution to those you care about. Now you can move and shake without any political "connections or obligations" of any sort. Your community, and the families you "serve" will be very much appreciative of your efforts on their behalf.

Now wipe that tear away, and get to gettin'. That new phase is just beginning.... People are counting on you, Frank! :thumb:

Hey Frank sorry to hear of the news but you already seem to have a positive attitude as to what you are going to do to continue helping those that need it the most. My hat is off to you. Politics aside it is a good human thing to do and it takes a special breed to do it. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Frank, first of all thanks for your service even though it was not in my state. We still all belong to one country and all 300 million of us are united in one way or another...

That being said, I often heard the phrase that the term "politics is just another word for hiney-kissing," and that is indeed the truth. I have always gone through life being one to say it how it is, which can get you into trouble sometimes, and out of favor with people, but I still found it to be better then being "fake" or a "hiney-kisser." I think you are the same way, and its tough when you see people forced to move on because of their resolve to do what they feel is best.

For what it is worth, I'm sorry. I wish you the best in your new quest for being civil minded for the less fortunate.

Thanks guys. I got a confirmation last night that this type of service is what I should be doing. I got a call from a woman whose husband was dropped while being transferred at the nursing home. His back was injured and the nursing home never notified her. In fact, this has happened twice. She didn't know what to do. Due to the seriousness of the incident, I advised her to escalate her complaint to the State Office of Long Term Care and see her attorney. We talked about an hour. BTW, you may remember me talking about my friend, the masters-master wood carver who had a stroke. This was him.