Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta Unisaw problem

Delta Unisaw problem

I have Uni with what I hope is a minor maintenance issue. When I raise the blade to the highest point in order to change the blade the blade binds and can not be turned. This may be helpful when trying to remove the blade but I don't think it is the way it was designed to operate. In the first place if I tried to raise the blade for a plunge cut through a 4x4 it could be dangerous. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this issue.

Hi Rick ,
    I have an old delta unisaw at the shop. Will try this out and see if my saw acts like that.
    When drop cutting or raising the blade on either saw for some reason I go up all the way then retract it 1/2 a turn. Being at the end of the crank, that is about 1/8" for me as I figure.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Your belt or pulley is hitting the table. Something is out of adjustment.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

The belts are hitting the bottom of the table but I don't know what to adjust to stop it.

Can you get a picture for us? If we had a picture of where it was hitting, then maybe a picture of how your saw is adjusted, we could help you figure something out.

No offense meant here at all, but saying your belts are hitting the table is like saying "My fan belt is hitting the bracket on my Toyota, can you tell me how to adjust it." We really need to see where and how it is hitting, then maybe a picture of how your saw adjusts. The Unisaw has been made for some 50 years so there are a lot of different models and ways to adjust the saw. I am not trying to talk down to you here, but just trying to give you a little perspective on what your asking. A picture would really help.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Remove the top of the saw and then raise the blade and watch what is happening...

While you have top off - you can clean and lube the mechanics...

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/TableSawTune.pdf

Rod

Rod is on track. You have will have to take the table off to do anything. I don't remember off the top of my head how to fix this. I think there is an adjustable stop (bolt and nut) in there though. But the newer ones may have changed. If you have the top off take the time to clean and lube everything.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

First of all, it is a new (less than a year old) Delta X5 with a 5 year warranty. I won't be removing the top myself I'll let the Delta tech do that if necessary. It appears all three belts are hitting the bottom of the table equally right at the upper pully and I can't get a clear picture of that without removing the top. I would have to remove the motor to get a picture from the underside and again since it is still under warranty I'm going to let Delta take care of it. I just thought I might throw out the problem to see if anyone had any ideas on what was causing it.

We had a unisaw that did that at one of the shops I worked for when there was no mineral exploration work around. No idea what to adjust, I'm afraid we just didn't raise it all the way. No big deal, makes a horrible noise if its running, but didn't stall the saw or anything like that. Can't remember ever needing the blade up that high anyway, I'd have said a blind cut raising the blade all the way up through a 4x4 was pretty dangerous all by itself (though I've got one of those old 1750 rpm models, so I tend to be pretty cautious)

John,

Fortunately, according to the saw specs, the maximum depth of cut is 3 1/8". The blade actually rises to 3 7/32", more than the maximum depth so I'm not limited by the problem. The only issue is safety and hopefully a Delta tech can address that.

I just had a thought. If there is no stop to adjust I can possibly epoxy a small block of wood or metal under the top to prevent the upper pulley from touching. Obviously Iíll check with Delta first. Another possibility would be to add shims between the base and the top to raise the top higher.