Little, tool gloat

Well sort of, went out to Alliance oh today and picked up my nephews new toy, left there toted it out to Massilon Oh. Loaded 6 round bales that weighed about 900 pounds apiece and pulled it home. I get to call it a gloat since if I need it all I have to do is go get it.

The old 6.2 didn't do to shabby, ran right with the big trucks coming back loaded, little over 200 miles round trip and averaged 9.45. Not bad considering it's geared like a tank.

8X16 14,000 GVW and it DUMPS!!!!!

Attachments

• new trailer1.jpg
    new trailer1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 47
  • new trailer2.jpg
    new trailer2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 54
How does the dump trailer operate? Is it powered by the towing vehicle or by a separate deep cycle battery on the trailer itself?

Those used to be all the rage around here, but they soon went out of vogue. It seems the kind with the battery always went dead. You would go to use it and the battery would be dead, which was very annoying. This was not just one weekend then 3 months later use it again, but from weekend to weekend the battery would go dead.

Of course it could just be our cold weather up here too. :dunno: Your nephew should definately have a spare battery in the truck with him. One that is fully charged because there is nothing like getting somewhere with a full load of gravel or something and then not being able to dump it. That ties up both the trailer and the tow vehicle since unhooking off a fully loaded trailer is not always possible. he might want to have a dedicated charger for it to. Keeping the battery constantly up so its always ready for use.

Not trying to dump ants on your picnic, just letting you know some of the issues we had with ours.

Well if you added just one wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer you charge the battery while your pulling it ;)

Problem solved.

Not really. We found that the battery drained down so much that it took quite awhile for the tow vehicle to power the battery back up. You would have to go for a pretty long ride to get the thing to work. The hydraulic pump takes quite a bit of amps to work anyway.

As I said maybe its just the cold. I know if it was just us or our trailer it would be isolated, but these things have fallen out of vogue here. You see a contractor buy one, then about 6 months later you see a for sale sign on it with a small one ton dump truck in his driveway.:dunno:

Someone needs to make one of these things with a gasoline engine on it to drive the hydraulic pump, then they would work good.

I think the 6.2 has a dual battery and a big ol' alternator. My diesel Chevy pickup did. Maybe that'll keep it charged better?

both the trucks that will be towing it have 100 amp alternators on them, I realize that if you where making short trips and dumping 6 or 7 loads a day you could eventually get ahead of it. Doubt it's ever gonna happen with us though. Most of the time it's going to be hauling fertilizer which means you load it drive it to the field , it goes in the air and stays there till the fields planted.

The other thing we plan on doing is running a separate 6 gauge wire from the batteries on the trucks to the back of the truck, hook that to the trailer with an anderson connector and then hook it to the trailer battery.

If you try to keep it charged with just a 10 or 12 gauge wire it's never going to work right. A lot of the new one tons have electric power pack to run the dump body.