Mantle, ready for delivery, install

Bryan Cowing

built in two pieces, the top is separate. I would have to hire a mover if it was one piece. Oak gets heavy , fast! I will post a final pic when it's installed on a wall between two windows, with about a 1" space to the window trim! each side!:eek: Color is a close match to the varnished oak trim of the 8 year old house.Swmbo thinks it looks great, I think it's a little heavy in corbel width, but thats what the lady of the house wanted :huh:. Took a while to get it done,started this back in November. Between a part time job and a couple of Christmas presents that snuck in there too!
IMG_4615.jpg

Great job on the mantle. Have also been admiring some of your work posted in your album. You look to be a busy person, can't wait until I have more time to spend on this stuff.

I saw that you built your air cleaner, did you also build the cyclone?

Great job on the mantle. Have also been admiring some of your work posted in your album. You look to be a busy person, can't wait until I have more time to spend on this stuff.

I saw that you built your air cleaner, did you also build the cyclone?

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Yes, using Bill Pentz design as pre separator and a 25 yr old Grizzly 4 bag DC as the suction. About 8 hrs work if you get someone to roll the cylinders, funnel and make the folds for you. Doesn't cost a lot to build, about $50 for the sheet metal.:D I think I would make it a larger diameter for a 4 bag. I get too much air speed and material doesn't drop out of the air stream. I may try some tricks to get more of a pressure drop, like having a 9" stack out the top for 12",then reduce to 6" to the DC. That old Grizz has a 14" fan on it!:eek:

Last edited: