TS Cabinet

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I finished up the tutorials Google had and with a little trial and error was able to finally draw something. One project I'm wanting to get done in the next few months is to build a table saw cabinet. Still need to draw drawers and finish out the back. may end up offsetting the saw more to one side so I can add support for the router table on the right hand side.

Attachments

• TS Cabinet Front-1.jpg
    TS Cabinet Front-1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 127
  • TS Cabinet Back-1.jpg
    TS Cabinet Back-1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 97
Looks good to me. I don't have much need for a mobile until, but I have come to the conclusion that I need to revamp my shop with organizers, jigs and fixtures. Now that the house is done, maybe I will have time to do that. Good luck with your table saw project.

This is what I did for my TS Bench. It is not finished off yet as i have some drawers to build but it might help you out with your design. I hope that I have done the upload right if not i will try it again.

Attachments

• TS bench.JPG
    TS bench.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 98
Looking good so far. I would consider offset on the saw position to give you greater support to the right of the blade.

Some folks go with a torsion box on top or below:
web60201.jpg

I'm sure you've seen a lot of the versions out there and it looks like you are off to a good start. SU really helps work out the "what if" questions once you get the hang of the basics (took me awhile).

P.s. Check out Wood Mag's Idea Shops http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/category.jsp?catref=wd122

Keep us posted. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, pictures, and links; all of it was very helpful. Been wanting to build one for a while now so I can consolidate some of my bits, blades, and jigs into one place for storage. Might still be a while before I get to it as we're trying to get the house ready for sale. That alone is going to eat up every weekend between now and the end of April on small repair projects, cleanup, and painting. Hopefully it will sell and I can find something with, or room for, a dedicated workshop.

Thanks again,

Finally got around to this project. I built a small storage cabinet on the side of the original base that worked quite well. Last year the switch went out and I simply wired in a wall switch with a 25' cord and extra plugs. I found that it was a real pain to shut the saw down when having to support large sheets, so I replaced it with a paddle type switch. I will probably add the 25' power cord with a 4 plex on the front of the new cabinet and an outlet on the back for the saw's power. I don't have a lot of power outlets in the garage at this time so the additional plugs come in handy when working on projects. There is a hole in under the saw that allows the dust to fall through in the back against a slanted panel. Will eventually close this off for a dust collector. The last pic is my router table, will need to modify it as the new cabinet is about 1 1/2" taller.

Attachments

• IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG00020.jpg
    IMG00020.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG00019.jpg
    IMG00019.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Looks like you're off to a good start. Your saw looks like one of the "good" portables. I had one of the $100 Delta benchtops from Lowes, and it was full of problems. Yours, on the other hand, looks like a real saw. :thumb:

Fortunately, I had enough experience table saws when I got it that I soon realized what parts were unsafe and needed attention. I shudder to think about an inexperienced beginner using that saw for their indoctrination into table saws. :rolleyes:

Yeah, got it about 16 years ago. When I first set it up, I got out my squares and such to true it up, but was unneeded. It was perfectly square out of the box. Upgrades have included a link belt/pully kit, the Jessem miter, and the switch, other than that it's been a great saw.

Bart, That's almost the same drawer config that I was thinking about for mine, except the larger drawer on the left side. For just above the center drawer, I was thinking of putting in a shelf and a 4 plex electrical plug above that. I'm wondering if i need the big drawer. I don't usually have more than a couple of blades around, so thinking about just three smaller drawers on each side.

Bart, That's almost the same drawer config that I was thinking about for mine, except the larger drawer on the left side. For just above the center drawer, I was thinking of putting in a shelf and a 4 plex electrical plug above that. I'm wondering if i need the big drawer. I don't usually have more than a couple of blades around, so thinking about just three smaller drawers on each side.

If you want it on the left that works. Question what blades or Dado or molding heads are you going to have in the future? Make sure you have room to grow. In the drawer below the right section just slides in, also grippers need a larger drawer to store them in hint hint!!!!

The center above the drawer is a dust chamber & has a sloped bottom high in the front & low in the back with a DC hook up down low on the back. There is a slide gate on the right end of the cabinet with stops on both ends of the gate & a dowel extending the handle right close to the front. The DC runs from left to right through the blast gate.

Attachments

• Out in the shop 90.jpg
    Out in the shop 90.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: