A few keepsake boxes

Dewayne Baker

A couple of years ago I was inspired to make a few keepsake boxes as Christmas gifts. I made all of the boxes at the same time and didn't draw plans for any of them. I had so much fun creating these boxes, I recommend making your own as woodworking therapy when needed. If you have not made small boxes before and need some guidance I recommend Doug stowe's book "Box making".

brazilliancherrybloodwoodboxalt.JPG

Brazilian cherry & bloodwood

cherrybloodwoodboxalt.JPG

Cherry and bloodwood

cherrypurpleheartboxalt.JPG

Purpleheart & cherry

maplepurpleheartboxalt.JPG

Maple & purpleheart

purpleheartmapleboxalt.JPG

Purpleheart & maple

walnutbox2alt.JPG

Walnut & maple

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed as much as I did making them.

Last edited:
Nice boxes Dewayne. :thumb: Boxes are a lot of fun (and surprisingly challenging) to make. The first one you showed is reminiscent of some cutting boards I've made:

3-D%20Maple%20Walnut%20Purple%20Heart%203%20500.jpg

Does the purple heart bleed through to the lighter color woods though?

The boxes look beautiful (as does the cutting board) but I am curious as to if the food and water make the purple heart bleed. I had some issues with that on some of my wooden models.

Travis, I've used a lot of purpleheart for accents on cutting boards, often adjacent to maple or yellowheart, and never had any bleeding problems. (Soaked in mineral oil for a couple of days, then wiped "dry" with paper towels.) Maybe it's the solvents in the finish you're using?

Travis, I've used a lot of purpleheart for accents on cutting boards, often adjacent to maple or yellowheart, and never had any bleeding problems. (Soaked in mineral oil for a couple of days, then wiped "dry" with paper towels.) Maybe it's the solvents in the finish you're using?

Probably, I use a spray can of crystal clear acrylic. It was probably the propellant in the spray can that did me in.

I have never had a problem with purpleheart bleeding. I have had problems with bloodwood and paduak. I use oil and varnish finishes on my boxes.

Vaughn, I realy like that board. I wanted to do something like that with end grain boards but found it impossible.

Dewayne,

I very sorry to say that my wife will never...never see your work. I wouldn't hear the end of it. I do enjoy it though, keep it coming. :)

You do provide me with a lot of inspiration and something to work towards...Thank You