Aidens crib Part 2

Steve Ash

Update from this thread.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7648

I have gotten all the pieces final sanded and applied Zar 138 Spanish Oak stain.

Picture quality may not be the best, my apologies.

The headboard, raised panel and frame construction.

P1010006.jpg

The footboard.
P1010008.jpg

Everything I build has to have a piece of Ash in it somewhere. I found the best place was to put Ash plugs in both the headboard and footboard top piece.

P1010011.jpg

I also put these custom made disks into each piece. It goes in a inconspicous place. In this case, the footboard on the inside and down low where it won't be seen.

P1010016.jpg

And lastly a picture of all the pieces together. The short side rails will be removed when Aiden has outgrown the crib and is ready for a twin bed.

P1010018.jpg

Now on to finish, I am leaning towards shellac, stay tuned and as always....Thanks for looking.

Looking good, Steve. I will try to stay tuned, but have a hard time keeping up with threads. Where did you get your inserts made at? I think they look better then the burn in ones.

Hi Steve :wave:,
That is a very handsome job!
Lot of work to build I am sure, lot of work to stain I am sure, lot of work to finish I am sure.
Aiden..............Worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:
Shaz :)

Where did you get your inserts made at?

We have a member here at FWW that custom made them for me.

Tom Hempleman

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/member.php?u=455

He did a wonderful job and is easy to work with. We used his services to engrave some panels for a bar we built a couple years ago for the local American Legion.

If you'd like something similar, get in touch with him, he gets a high reccomendation from me.

I was rather confused, so I went back and looked at the dry fit in the original thread.
Now I'm only a touch confused... just to clarify. Unlike most cribs, the sides don't go up and down on this one?? At least, I can't see how they would, since the side is the footboard.

Very neat idea, by the way.

Now I'm only a touch confused... just to clarify. Unlike most cribs, the sides don't go up and down on this one?? At least, I can't see how they would, since the side is the footboard.

Very neat idea, by the way.

Correct Art. It converts from a crib to a toddler bed and then lastly to a twin bed just by changing the side rails or footboard as needed.

I'll look at the literature that we copied the idea from tomorrow and see if I can find a website that clarifies how the changes are made by pictures.

Aiden's mom (Lacey) walked in shortly after I snapped the pictures and was in awe how beautiful it turned out.....that's all the pay I needed.:thumb: She just said with a dropped jaw....my God that is beautiful.

I really need a camera that takes better pics....

Its looking sharp Steve. I must be getting soft in my old age because I can sit for hours and just watch Alyson sleeping in her crib. I bet in a few weeks you will be able to as well.

Best of luck to you, your crib and your new Grandson.