Thread: weirdo drill bit size rant

weirdo drill bit size rant

On the penturning forums, I am well known for getting passionate (to phrase it politely) over suppliers requiring use of weird, non-standard drill bit sizes for pens and other small projects. This requires purchase of expensive and low quality drill bits before one is able make a new style pen or other project. Another such issue came up the other day. Below is what I posted on a couple pen forums.
    BTW, the way I feel about this is:
    More weirdo drill bit size rant material came my way the other day.
    A friend is wanting to make some decorative holders for votive style candles. He has the cups for the candles and wants to set them in wood. The cups require a 2 1/8 hole.
    I searched my Forstners but only found a 1 15/16 and 2 3/8 as closest sizes. Neither would work. We tried a hole saw at 2 , still too sloppy.
    We finally settled on an adjustable auger that I had modified for power drills. He will further modify by grinding off the threads on the pilot.
    Bottom line is this is the last time he will make this type of candle holder.
    I think the suppliers believe they are keeping customers by requiring purchase of these weirdo size bits. In this case, about $40.00-$50.00. But, the reality is, they are dissuading new customers from trying these projects.
    BTW, I found this set at Harbor Freight.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94212
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank, 2 1/8" is a real common size of Forstner bit. Nearly every large-ish set I've seen (including the set I got at Harbor Freight) has the 2 1/8" bit as the biggest bit in the set.

Personally, I'd like to find a 2 1/2" Forstner bit at a reasonable price. That's the size of the smaller faceplates I have for the lathe, and I'd like to be able to drill a recess to fit them on natural edge pieces.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Frank, 2 1/8" is a real common size of Forstner bit. Nearly every large-ish set I've seen (including the set I got at Harbor Freight) has the 2 1/8" bit as the biggest bit in the set.

Personally, I'd like to find a 2 1/2" Forstner bit at a reasonable price. That's the size of the smaller faceplates I have for the lathe, and I'd like to be able to drill a recess to fit them on natural edge pieces.
    I've been stood corrected elsewhere also. Oh, well. The HF sets I've seen go up to 2" or start at 2 1/4". They have a selection shown on this page:
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tner&Submit=Go
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

If I was you Frank I would not be too worried about the odd ball sizes and just buy an adjustable ream. Get your hole roughed out from you got for drill bits and then adjust your reamer to make the hole you need.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

My Forstner bit set (which not a particulary good one) has a 2 1/8 inch bit.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I've been stood corrected elsewhere also. Oh, well. The HF sets I've seen go up to 2" or start at 2 1/4". They have a selection shown on this page:
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tner&Submit=Go
    Frank from your search..

Titanium nitride runs cooler, cuts easier, and lasts longer than steel. Bits over 1'' have saw tooth design. Sets feature hardened tool steel, precision ground heads, 3/8'' reinforced shanks and wooden carrying cases.

* Sizes: 1/4'' to 2-1/8'' by 8ths

ITEM 39812-2VGA

Garry

[QUOTE=Vaughn
    Personally, I'd like to find a 2 1/2" Forstner bit at a reasonable price. That's the size of the smaller faceplates I have for the lathe, and I'd like to be able to drill a recess to fit them on natural edge pieces.[/QUOTE]

Vaughn I picked up a 2 1/2 forstner bit from this place last year for about $20 shipped if I remember correctly. http://www.aloghomestore.com/tools-d...and-bits.shtml
    decent quality, no name bit.
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Shhh . . . stealth-jack - - - - 2 1/2" for $15 - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=705
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke