Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please

Question Help Please

When we built our new home, I installed Brazilian Cherry real 3/4" t&g hardwood floors, pre finished.

A year or so later, my wife wanted a product to clean them, we happended to be in the Woodsmith Store, and were told to use MinWax Wood Floor Cleaner.

Big mistake. It left a film on the floor, that we can't get off. When you walk on the floor, it leaves smudges from the foot prints, we never had that on the new floor.

We cleaned it as good as we could, and then me like a dummy believed the TV commercial for "Orange Glo Wood Floor Cleaner and Polisher" another colosal mistake. It looked great, except in a couple of places where she hadn't been smooth in the application, and of course they were in obvious places, so I though what the heck, lets put it on again. Big mistake #3.

Now we have a real mess. We went to Home Depot, and the lady in the floor dept. told me that she had taken all of their products home and used them and all left residue even the most expensive one. She said that the only one that did not was the Bruce Hardwood cleaner system. She also said that we just needed to find the correct product to get rid of the survace applications, as the floor was most likely Aluminum Oxide Coated, rather that Polyurethane like I thought.

We have not yet used the Bruce System.

Do any of you have any thoughts short of Sanding.

Here is a pic of the floor.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sanding a floor is a major project. It can definitely be done, but I think that is pretty severe for your floors. Besides the aluminum oxide coating on the floor is MUCH more durable than a poly would be. I would start by contacting the mfg of the Orange Glo and ask them how to get their product stripped off the floor! You would probably be well served by talking to a true flooring company that includes refinishing in their portfolio instead of HD or any other company that does not specialize in floors. Where did you get the flooring? That may be a good place to start.

Ed, That is the problem, I got it from a flooring dealer in Dalton Georgia over the Internet. I think they are out of business, or have gotten bought up. I believe the flooring is fine. Just have to get down to the original finish, get all the gunk off it.

Check with any full service flooring company. I would also try contacting Orange Glo.

Is the company in Georgia the ones that manufacters the floor? If not I would try to get hold of the ones that made it. On our hardwood floors we only use bruces hardwood cleaner, which really sticks(migth just be the stuff we have). Make you have the windows open when using it. Most of the time on prefinished floors a damp mop is all that is needed.

try cleaning a small area with mineral spirits, let it dry for at least a day and apply plain ol` wax.
    do this in an out of the way place first just to check the effectiveness.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I will be contacting orange glo, I tried mineral spirits, I also tried denatured alcohol. All to no effect.

I have thought about using Zip Guard a water based polyurethane over all, scuffing up the surface with 120-150 grit paper on a ROS and then applying Zip Guard. It is a really nice product. Self levels and really goes on smooth and clean. We used it on all of the wood trim that I manufactured for the house.

I am not quite to that stage yet.

Tom,
    I don't have any advice as to removing the stuff already on there. Once you get your problem solved, I can tell you that we only clean our hardwood floors with a swiffer wet jet and have never had a problem. They are solid white oak with some cherry, maple and walnut mixed in in some places. Sanded smooth and the 3 coats of poly. Hope this helps!

Lee

That's a real bummer. I would second the recommendation to get a flooring guy involved. Pick an inconspicuous spot in the corner of the room and tell you wife that's where the potted plant (or stand) goes and then let the flooring guy work there.
    If the chemicals in the cleaner clouded the finish nothing will remove it short of sanding the old finish off. My wife did the same thing to our kitchen floor using the swiffer wet jet... go figure. If it's a film you would be well advised not to put a top coat (poly) on it until it's really clean and 120 grit sandpaper in an ROS will not remove it.
    If it were me I would go back to the people at woodmaster and minwax, tell them what happened and ask them what they intend to do about it... a formal letter might get better results than a phone call.
    The more I think about floor finish the more I dislike poly or factory applied finishes...they all fail and then you have a mess with no easy fix. I've told my wife next time I'm going back to a straight oil finish and a wax top coat...I can scrape wax once a year and fix scratches with a little elbow grease. Of course I don't have little kids that are going to spill grape juice on my wood floors. Good luck on your floors

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman View Post
    I have thought about using Zip Guard a water based polyurethane over all, scuffing up the surface with 120-150 grit paper on a ROS and then applying Zip Guard. It is a really nice product. Self levels and really goes on smooth and clean. We used it on all of the wood trim that I manufactured for the house.
    Sounds like another potential disaster! Talk to a flooring Professional.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response