Wiring up a SteelCity 18" BS

tim Rowledge

OK, so I have a new bandsaw and need to connect it to a source of high octane electrons. The 18" BS is intended for 220v so I want to connect it to my pre-existing 220v lead that is currently in use for my MM combo. That lead has a NEMA L6-30 socket on the end, which has found connections. The BS has a rather odd looking three pin plug of a sort previously unknown to me
Sort like this
|
- -
What I need to know is how I should connect the wires from the BS to a suitable L6-30 plug.

tim

--
Laser printers on Stun! Prepare to fire!

I'm a little confused; is the typo "has found connections" supposed to read "has four connections"? The NEMA L6-30 spec

is for a 2 pole 3 wire device. The pin with the right angle jog in it is your ground. The other two are your hot leads.

Again I may be guessing wrong but I think the pin pattern your showing is this NEMA 6-15 (?)

which is a 220v 15a.

My 2HP Griz runs this NEMA 6-20 (looks like a 5-20 except for voltage rating, 220v 20a):

Last edited:
Oh how embarrassing. Not only a stupid typo but I actually made myself look like a botanist[1].
Yes, it's an L6-30 with THREE pins, one bent L-shaped. And yes the one currently on the BS is like those pictured. So if the L-pin is ground on the L6 and the middle pin on the current plug then it should be simple to rewire.

tim

[1]Botanists are well known for being able only to count up to 3. As in "one, two, three, lots".

But....pics are a requirement here.....:doh:

OK already! Here's a couple of shots from my first quick resaw this afternoon; I needed to reduce some VG fir from 6/4 to 4/4 for a base moulding on a little dovetail box/faceframe bookcase I'm making. Hand cut dovetails to match the larger case I made a month ago, painted back panel ditto, etc etc.

Despite just using the provided blade (rather too many tpi for a resaw) it did a fine job, no wandering not explainable as my own fault for dithering, and it cleaned up with a couple of passes under the planer.

So far so good I think. Quite an impressive saw for $1500 (including a mobile base the dealer threw in gratis).

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 22
i just obtained a steel city 18" bs it doesn't have a motor run capacitor in it. could you give me the specs of your capacitor? Motor manufactured in Taiwan. motor specs are 240 vac, 10.8 amp, 60 hz, ph 1, 2 hp, 1720 rpm. Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Rick. Doesn't look like Tim has checked in here for several years, but may. Does your motor have a label on it stating it's size/model and any voltage information? If so, can you post a pic and we can see if we can figure out what size you would need.

There are a few sites out there that can help with sizing as well, but I know we have a couple of folks that know electriks pretty well, that may be able to lend a hand.
https://inspectapedia.com/electric/Motor_Capacitor_Selection.php