Is it woodworrkers day too?

When Martin Luther King Day comes around I cannot help but think that in some small way, its also Woodworker's Day. I guess its because growing up in a Foster Home I know all to well what it is like for the underprivileged to make it in this world. No I have not been watching to much Opra lately, but I do have a lot of respect for Martin Luther King, Jr.

I must admit though that I have even more respect for Booker T Washington. As a person who loves woodworking, and American Farming, what better hero can you have then Mr Washington? Did you know he invented the modern varnish as we know it today? Did you know he spent his life reformulating paints and finishes in what he called agricultural chemistry? Or came up with 150 different uses for the sweet potato. Research his life and you will see that he gave us woodworkers so much, and set presidences every where he went and this was back at the last turn of the century when people of his race were looked down upon.

Myself I can't imagine building any woodworking project and not putting a nice finish on it. So the next time you do, you can thank Booker T Washington for that. Today is a great day to reflect upon the fact that anyone can overcome hardships and sterotypes and contribute. Whether its on this forum, for the woodworking world, or for society as a whole; the willingness to share is indeed colorblind.

Happy MartinLuther Kings Day!!:wave:

Just Monday-Friday?

Well.....I guess technically I still work on the weekends....in the shop mostly.

But as for my real job, I promised myself when I left the family farm I wouldn't work another Sunday again. so far in my 19 or so years of being a building contractor, I haven't.

My wife is a gov't employee.....they sure get a lot of holidays...:huh::dunno:

My boss shocked me the other day, we talk almost every day on the phone (nature of the job, I've never met her, due to being in the field), and she said talk to you Tuesday since we're off on monday. Folks, I've been in the transportation industry or in retail for the better part of the last 8 years, and the trucks still roll 24/7 365 days a year. That also means that management is on duty those same days. It took a couple of minutes to convince me that I did indeed have today off. OK, a couple of seconds, but it was an adjustment just the same.

I can relate...lets see when I worked for the railroad it was 9 straight years of working Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving....

Yep this new 4 day week works pretty good for me. I even felt guilty on the Fourth of July and worked that day for the boatyard just because it only felt right to work at least one holiday a year.