Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Planer!!

New Planer!!

On Saturday, I picked up my new "used" Delta 13" 2-Speed planer. The SMC member that I bought it from took excellent care of it, so she sparkled after a quick cleaning when I got home. This tool is a workhorse! I used it a bit yesterday, and it was great. I'm hoping to put a Wixey height guage on it this week.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Nice catch. Enjoy. My Grizz planer has been a very useful addition to my shop.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Keith,

Nice score!

I have the same model and really like it. If you didn't get a dust chute with it, spend the $24 and get one, and get it hooked up to a DC. This thing generates lot-o-chips!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    Keith,

Nice score!

I have the same model and really like it. If you didn't get a dust chute with it, spend the $24 and get one, and get it hooked up to a DC. This thing generates lot-o-chips!
    I forgot to mention that the dust chute came with the planer. I need to flip the two blades over, which will give me brand new sharp steel to work with.

All for the low, low price of $225.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Keith make sure you post pictures w/the Wixey on it. I have the same planer, but
    was not sure where to mount it. As I would like one for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    I forgot to mention that the dust chute came with the planer. I need to flip the two blades over, which will give me brand new sharp steel to work with.

All for the low, low price of $225.

- Keith
    Sounds like a great deal. That's about what I paid for the little brother to yours, the 12 1/2" Delta Snipemaster. Congrats on the new acquisition.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Considering how much s4s lumber costs, a planer pays for itself real fast. I just have a cheap o Delta 12 inch, but man has that thing paid for itself. I drove 750 feet of 10 inch wide Ash through it for my hardwood floors, that paid for itself right there.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I wonder how many feet of lumber my 13" Craftsman planer has seen? I would estimate my planer has paid for itself twice at least. It wasn't cheap ($349, but it keeps on cutting. Checked the brushes yesterday, they have tons of life left, so was happy with that.

A good tip is now and then a little shop air into the motor to get that dust out of there. Heat kills these motors, so try to keep it cool. Nice score!
    No Al, I invented the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hoste View Post
    Keith make sure you post pictures w/the Wixey on it. I have the same planer, but
    was not sure where to mount it. As I would like one for mine.
    Hey Les! I snagged this picture from the Wixey website. It looks like the gauge mounts on the right side of the planer. Hopefully it's as easy as it looks...

- Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22-580_Wixey.jpg  

Sicamous (sic-a-moose) British Columbia Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    On Saturday, I picked up my new "used" Delta 13" 2-Speed planer. The SMC member that I bought it from took excellent care of it, so she sparkled after a quick cleaning when I got home. This tool is a workhorse! I used it a bit yesterday, and it was great. I'm hoping to put a Wixey height guage on it this week.

- Keith

Nice pickup Keith. I am going to make this a one time offer. How about switching that nice long infeed table for the one on my older Dewalt?