SketchUp Pipe Clamp Component

Gads!!! I am really glad I belong to such an intellectual group.

I inhereted a two-ton workbench from my father. The top frame (I'm sure a real woodworker would know the name of this) is made of 2x6s. The top is 2 1/8" thick. Net result of this is: If I were to add a "pipe clamp vice" the top of the jaw would be well under the top of the bench. Therefore I must have wood faces that extend up above the cast iron of the pipe clamp "vice." Any suggestions? I was thinking something like 4" of laminated plywood to give me cross grains.

To make more sense of this---the bench was not used for woodworking. It was used to facet diamonds (one of my dad's many hobbies). It is build heck for strong, vibration free, etc. However, I can't seem to come up with a way to add a woodworking vice because of the 2 1/8" top plus the 6" frame. That is why I am considering the pipe clamp vice as an interim until I build a woodworking bench.

I already have so many projects that I can see a year or two before I start my woodworkers bench. Meanwhile, I need something.

Suggestions??? Help!!!

Enjoy,

Jim

Intellectual? Well, I guess I kind of bring the level of that down for the entire group. :D

There is a deep reach pipe clamp--2-1/2". Woodcraft lists them. They screw-bearing part of the clamp is on the sliding side though so that wouldn't work so well.

You could drill the faces of the regular ones for screws and screw a piece of hardwood to them. Might make the hardwood jaw deep enough so it passes over the pipe.

The real intellects should be able to come up with something.

Hi Dave :wave:,
This left handed/right handed thread thing is a real design issue when considering it in rope molding, lathe turnings and the such as far as I am concerned.

Does a piece, (to get off the clamp threading just a bit,) that is otherwise symmetrical yet having two columns, (with an indication of a spiral), left and right of a center point (say on the corners of a kitchen island,) turning the same way seem to cheapen the results? Do you know what I am saying? Can you shed some design inspiration here for me?

With this considered is it easy in SU to do a simple reversal and copy, to make the turnings symmetrical one with right hand twist and the other with the left hand twist?:huh:
Easiest way out is to say "What in the HECK are you talking about Bubba?":D:rofl::rofl:
I'd understand! :rolleyes: I think!:huh::rofl::rofl:
Shaz :)

Hey there Bubba! :rofl:

Actually, I do know what you're talking about. I think in terms of general design, it would be better to have mirror images of the rope molding rather than having both sides being right-laid (rope making term) for example. I suspect that most people wouldn't notice if the rope wasn't mirrored and in some cases while it might bother the viewer, they might not be able to put their finger on exactly what is wrong.

On the other hand, mirroring rope molding between sides can cause a problem if the molding is carry all the way around as in a picture frame. Unless you make some arrangements to deal with it, you end up with problems at the corners.

As far as drawing the mirrored moldings in SketchUp, once you've got the first molding drawn, it is only a few seconds worth of work to make the counterpart. Easy as mirroring any other geometry. See this video. It shows some mirroring in SketchUp.

Hey!!!!!!! Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave!!!!!!!!! :wave:,
I just watched this video, it has been a while but I do get around to things.:dunno: You are so entertaining and educational. I always enjoy your videos.:clap: That is very informative and some day I WILL mirror something in Su, thanks to you.
Bubba/Shaz :)
Hope this finds you well.

I was playing around with drill press table designs recently, and made good use of the mirroring tricks I've learned from you, Dave. I still had to go back and look up the appropriate thread as a refresher (and probably will next time, too), but it's great having the resource here where I can find it.

BTW, I ended up not using pipe clamps in the drill press table. I came to the realization that a "bench style" stationary clamp doesn't make a lot of sense for a drill press. I'll post pics soon. ;)