Problems with my planer

Allen Grimes

Hey guys a got a DW735 planer and it has been acting up lately. When I put a piece of wood through it it goes really slow and leaves black tire marks on it and the last time I tried it just stopped completely and completely ruined the work.

Has anybody else ever had this problem and if so do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

Allen

Sharp blades is first step. Don't know how long or what sort of use you give it but anytime a machine slows down then one of the possibilities is that the cutter is having to do more work because of a dull edge.

Next check is that the feed tables are clean and slippy. Use white spirit or some other solvent to make sure that any gum build up is cleaned off and then give the tables a good coat of wax to make sure that they are as low friction as poss.

Check that you aren't taking too big a cut. The manufacturers of tools like this usually overstate their ability to cut by a factor of at least 2 or 3. If they say 1/4" max cut the truth is closer to 1/8" or 1/12" unless you are planing balsa wood. Sharp blades, slippy tables and patience are important for this type of machine.

What sore of timber where you using when you had the problem?

Planer

I have this same porta-potty planer, ....

This porta-potty only costs $500 ! And it received a rave review from a wood working site on the net. What am I missing?
My planer is a Sears El-Cheapo ($250). I "paid" for it by recycling some old oak. I did a lot of resawing on the band saw and then cleaning it up on my planer.
So my question is this, can you believe those reviews? Should I spent $500 on a DW? I don't do any commercial work, I just keep four grandchildren happy with doll cradles etc.

DKT

Feed rollers not grabbing anymore? Try cleaning them and see. Mine get cleaned every six month anlong with tables getting cleaned and rewaxed.

Wax is a big factor on this portable units. Those motors scream, universal motors are just so ridiculously loud. I would check that you are getting good chip removal, make sure it is the only thing hooked up to chip collection. Take little bites on these. I usually take 1/32 and not any more than that. If I take more I get blowout. My Craftsman did the same thing, it was due to dead blades. If it sounds like its pounding the wood time for new ones.:thumb:

I'm with Travis; the only time mine gives me this problem is when I have been casual about cleaning and waxing the beds. Clean rollers are a must as well. As far as being loud; of course they are and we all wear hearing protection when we run any of our machines, right? ;-) I don't get the reminder as often as I used to so I must be learning something; it takes far less time to maintain the tool than to re-make the piece. When things don't move easily . . clean and wax.

...As far as being loud; of course they are and we all wear hearing protection when we run any of our machines, right? ;-) ...

Absolutely! Nothing gets turned on until my ear defenders are on. Hearing damage is gradual and permanent. My plan is to come to the end of my working life not only capable of counting to 10 but also of being able to hear myself do it.

Portable planers using universal motors are loud. Every brand I have ever heard is loud. Anybody who operates one without hearing protection is going to damage their hearing.

...Seriously, they should not allow machines to be sold that are so loud...
Huh? Did you say something? I see your lips moving, but all I hear is this ringing sound. :dunno:

wall%20o%20marshalls.JPG

:rofl:

Gotta agree with you though...my little Delta Snipemaster is the only woodworking tool I have that's painfully loud, and that's saying a lot for these tired old ears.

Yeah Alan, I understand. The Marshals may make your pants legs flap in the breeze, but they don't have the high-pitched, ears-bleeding sound that a lunchbox planer can produce.

Then of course you could always run the planer through a Marshall stack. Now THAT'S some loud stuff. :rofl: Dang kids these days would probably dance to it, too. :headbang:

My Makita is also loud, but when I hook up the cyclone to it, I have the old folks in the hood heading for the bomb shelters :D

Dang it is LOUD with the cyclone hooked up, and Like Alan, this is the only machine I have to run mid-day, no late night planer action for me.

Allen, have you checked the blades?

Cheers!

I've learned something from this thread. I'm going to wax the bed of my Griz planer.
As for loud, I have always thought that all planers are very loud. Hearing protection is, IMHO, a must. Have a friend who is starting in the wood business. He spends hours a day at a planer without hearing protection and laughs off my suggestion to take care of his hearing.
We are digressing, but it is still a good lesson.

I have the older 733 and it is LOUD! I've measured it to around 90+db when planing maple with my 3hp Super Gorilla running. The 735 is louder ( I think it is rated at around 100db). I've also worked with a Powermatic 15" planer and it is just as loud as my 733 although a lower pitch which is slightly easier to tolerate. So outside of using a scrub, #5 and #7, you need good hearing protection when planing.

Porta potty planer ????? I have it and love it . Yeah its gonna be loud ! All planers are pretty loud . Wax the bed and she will be OK ! I always wear earplugs, no matter what I`m doing . It does eat up the knives rather quickly , but I just don`t see where it`s a " porta potty planer " .

The planer is painful, I'm not sure if you have a DW735, but it will rid your yard of all living creatures, including humans.:doh:

I wondered why I don't have a problem with ants :rofl:. As for screamers, my Ridgid shop-vac gets the award there, even with the muffler. My TS and even my DC are tame compared to some of the small universal motor powered beasts.

Porta potty planer ????? I have it and love it . Yeah its gonna be loud ! All planers are pretty loud . Wax the bed and she will be OK ! I always wear earplugs, no matter what I`m doing . It does eat up the knives rather quickly , but I just don`t see where it`s a " porta potty planer " .

I think that was a classification remark more than a derogatory snipe at the DW735. That's how I took it anyway. I don't really expect machines that do what some of these machines do at the speeds they run to be comparable to a Bosch dishwasher you know? :D