Problems with my planer

Huh? Did you say something? I see your lips moving, but all I hear is this ringing sound. :dunno:

wall%20o%20marshalls.JPG

:rofl:

Gotta agree with you though...my little Delta Snipemaster is the only woodworking tool I have that's painfully loud, and that's saying a lot for these tired old ears.

Ahhh, now that brings back memories of a previous life. Nothing quite like an open E or a good tight kick drum at 100,000 watts.

I have the Delta 22-580, and I have found when its not pulling the stock in the way it should, the rollers usually need to be cleaned. I cleaned them, as per the manual, using water and a scotch-brite pad. It returns them to their original tackiness.

Waxing the bed, and in-out feed tables if you have them is a good idea too. While you have things opened up, change the knives to see if this fixes your planer problem.

Ever since I got this planer, hearing protection has become a regular part of my shop apparel. Now I find that with almost whatever the tool, router, table saw, planer, plus the DC; wearing the 'muffs is a good idea. I took them off while the table saw and DC were spinning down, and I couldn't believe how loud it was. I even got a set for my 3yr old son, for on rare occasions that he is invited down to the shoppe. More frequently, he wears them when he is playing with his toy tools. Its a rather humorous sight.

Last edited:
Travis said it all. I have the 735 and love it. Loud, yes but it is very accurate. Had the same trouble. Raised it up and cleaned the bed with ISOPA and then waxed with Johnson Paste Wax. Problem solved and it worked like new.
Chuck

No problem Allen . Do you order those knives directly from them ? I might try them on my next set maybe ! Thanks for the tip !

I'm with Travis; the only time mine gives me this problem is when I have been casual about cleaning and waxing the beds. Clean rollers are a must as well. As far as being loud; of course they are and we all wear hearing protection when we run any of our machines, right? ;-) I don't get the reminder as often as I used to so I must be learning something; it takes far less time to maintain the tool than to re-make the piece. When things don't move easily . . clean and wax.

Huh?? Could you say that a little louder?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Donnie,

Certainly didn't mean it like that, I actually do like my 735, just that it chews the blades up pretty quick, it does give a pretty nice finish. They should include the dust option, as they should the tables, but it's not a bad machine. I just use that to denote any of the bench top planers, they're all porta-potties to me.:dunno: Sorry if it offended, it wasn't meant to.

Check out the Infinity HSS knives, I think they're much better, but they do cost more. They seem to last quite a bit longer, but I can't give you any specifics as I'm just on the the first side, but they seem to have outlasted my OEMs so far. I should open it and look at them.

Alan I guess that these blades can be sharpened too? I have the 735 as well and have been looking for a set of blades that didn't come from Dewalt. I will check into those thanks for the site.

Hey guys a got a DW735 planer and it has been acting up lately. When I put a piece of wood through it it goes really slow and leaves black tire marks on it and the last time I tried it just stopped completely and completely ruined the work.

Has anybody else ever had this problem and if so do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

Allen I have the same planer and have had the exact same problem. I just cleaned the rollers and waxed the table. It seemed to help a bit. I also found that I had to start taking smaller amounts off with each pass when using hard woods.

Everything is covered in the posts except infeed and outfeed adjustment of the tables. If the infeed table is "low" you could be forcing the board up into the blades when the front roller grabs the material. Still you would think that the back roller would level it out again unless the rollers are not providing even pressure on the board. Just a guess, was using my 733 for about 2 hrs today and all the time was thinking about this thread:huh: With clean rollers, waxed bed, sharp blades and proper adjustment of the tables I can't see where there would be a problem.

Black marks from 735 planer

Hi Allen,

How long have you had your 735 planer and what have you done with it so far. I have owned the same machine for several years and have thrown all kinds of wood through it. It serves me well but I do not expect it to a production shop machine. Thanks Allen, Joe

Hey, guys, I just wanted to say thanks for all the responses I got to this thread when I wrote it, I've been far too busy to even look at my computer lately, but still your help was greatly appreciated.

There was a small build up of resin on the bed of my planer that wasn't letting anything pass through it, but once I cleaned that up and rewaxed it it was just like new again. Anyway, thanks again for your help.