The ultimate garage?

Pictures would be good. I dug through some old posts of yours and I found oneJust how many snowmobiles do you have? How are they housed now?Considering your groundwater issues, is a pit even reasonable to consider?

I got 3. One I keep at home and is regarded as solely as mine, the other two are "community property" and pretty much available to anyone in the family who wants to ride them...although they are several years old. They are stored just up the road at my Cousins house.

The real issue with snowmobiling is I tend to be the mechanic in the family. Despite having 11 machines in the family, everyone else just jumps on them and rides them. I fix them. At home...In the summer...Out on the trail...yeah I fix them and patch them up so the others can ride. I like doing that, but it would be nice to have a place to do that which is set up to do so. Wrenching in snowbanks or in my current sled shed is really no fun.

To answer your second question, yeah a pit would be feasable, if done on the North side of the house. Because of the 6% grade, that would mean about 4 feet of fill I have to add to get the garage level. Easy to do with my tractor and gravel pit. The South location would be tougher, because it would have to go down into the ground. No ledge rock or anything for at least 17 feet, but there is a lot or water coming off the hill I live on.

Here is a picture of our last "group ride." Yeah that is me with a stick getting a cowling wedged back down into position after Deb hit a tree. Its funny because the guys make fun of my backpack filled with tools, but I always seem to use them on their machines and not mine...Come to think about it, maybe I should build a snowmobile repair shop instead of a garage huh. Here are some pics of my wrenching adventures while out on the trail.

Straightening_With_a_Stick-small.JPG

Snow_Angels_With_Sled.jpg

Snowflap_Fix.JPG

Last edited:
First off you have to start with your location, sounds like the best bet is to build it on the north side of the house (into the kitchen wouldn't be bad, less walking for snacks when working in the garage), than it's all about the size.
I would just build a large garage with partitions for all you want.

I'd make it 35' across the front and probably 25' deep. I would make one bay a drive through for the wife (closest to the breezeway and house) and the other bay would be for your stuff. That would take you to 20-25' wide (that's lots of space to park in) and the remaining 10 feet at the side (opposite the breezeway) would be for your snowmobiles. This way it's all in one addition and everything is close at hand.

Last edited: