Toothpick Holder

Well here is a toothpick holder that was in Wood magazine. I thought I would give it a try. Pretty easy to do. A few extra steps in turning but thought it came out rather nicely. I already have orders for 9. So the lathe bench better get dry. It is made of mahogany. The finial is stained with minwax ebony stain. It is finished with Antique oil. It is 3 7/8" tall and 5 3/4" tall with the finial.

Attachments

• Toothpick Holder 5.jpg
    Toothpick Holder 5.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Toothpick Holder 6.jpg
    Toothpick Holder 6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Toothpick Holder 7.jpg
    Toothpick Holder 7.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 63
Bernie,
Until you mentioned it, I never would have guessed it held toothpicks - and that's a good thing!! I can see why you've got orders stacked up.

Wes

Hey Bernie, that's great. :thumb: Better than that plastic box I have.
Keeps this in my mind. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for all the kind words. These things are fun to turn. Pretty simple.

Drew these plans are in the new "Wood" magazine. It gives you pretty clear steps on how it is done. The only thing I did different was when I parted off the body I had enough wood left in the chuck to turn a jam chuck. I reversed the holder, jammed it on and finish the bottom then sanded. They showed the guy parting it off and hand sanding. There is also a 3 part video of it which I haven't watched yet. But the article gives you the web address.

Great job on that toothpick holder, Bernie. I showed the one in WOOD magazine to LOML and she thought they would make great gifts.

Although the design looks great, I'm concerned about stability with that narrow base. I can just see my clumsy self knocking one over and toothpicks flying everywhere.

Before I attempt one I'm curious if you see that as a problem or am I off base?

Very cool, Bernie!
Very unique, I can see why people are going for them. I'm doing an arts and crafts show in April. Think I'll spin a few of those myself, Thanks for sharing, Barry

Cody so far no problem the bottom I believe measures a little over 1 3/4". It is pretty stable and in fact the LOML got a toothpick out tonight with the comment "Nice". Try one Cody and see what you think then you could always turn a foot on it.

Hey Stu ... why not take it on as a special "back to turning" challenge?

The crowd starts chanting...

"One piece!
One piece!
One piece!
One piece!"

;)

You'd probably have to create an around-the-corner tool to do the "basket" part ... but if anybody can do it YOU can! :thumb: