Putting wax on tools

In a recent post on thickness planers one of the most stated solutions was to put wax on the planer table, but nobody said what kind of wax. I would appreciate more information, maybe brand name?

Thanks, DKT

Good old furniture paste wax - Johnson's, for instance.

You do not want to use automotive wax as most contain silicon which can transfer to your wood and make finishing a nightmare.

I use Johnson's Paste Wax.

Lowes has it in with the cleaning products. Not sure where HD has it, if they carry it at all.

I second what Rennie said about the automotive wax. Stay away from it!

Is the wax for extending the life of the tool or for easier work?

As Jason said, both. Waxing jointer tables and fence makes it much easier to use, so thats the main reason I do it. Also helps out the TS a lot, especially if its got one of those old kinda junky fences like mine does :D For me, its less about rust, since nothing hardly rusts out here unless you leave it out in the rain :D

I've used Johnson's, Butcher's, and Briwax. Just whatever is around. Used turtle wax once, not having anything else. Didn't have the silicone problem, but it was a real pain to buff out, and the slick effect was hardly worth it compared to a nice solvent based wax (I think the car wax uses some kind of water emulsion instead of naptha or tolulene as they'd attack the finish, or maybe just for liability).

Diddo mostly

I use Johnson's paste wax on my jointer, bandsaw table, table saw, and thickness planer. It reduces friction. I doubt it provides much in the way of rust prevention though as it was designed for wood. All the surfaces I use it on are aluminum or stainless so can't speak authoritatively about the rust deal.

Jack

I've used automotive wax without any problems. I guess its just because its what I had on hand. In any case I buffed out this jointer bed, and while it took me awhile, it came out nice.

Jointer-New_Paint-403x572.jpg

Travis, the issue with automotive wax is what it can do to any wood that comes into contact with waxed surfaces. It's great on the metal parts, but it makes applying a good finish to wood parts difficult because the silicone in the automotive stuff prevents the wood finish from adhering.

Most, I would bet 98% of the auto waxes have silicone, but I did find one brand here that does not, says so right on the label, it was also FOUR times the price of the regular auto wax :doh: Thing is I have not been able to find a "Paste" wax here like the Johnson's floor wax :dunno:

Also, a quick rub down with good ole wax paper, is a good way to keep things sliding between applications of paste wax.

When my brother and I were kids, we'd take waxed paper to the park. We'd sit on it as we went down the big slide. After a few runs the paper would be shot but the slide would be very slick. :D

I keep a bar of canning paraffin handy. It works nicely in miter gauge slots and o the soles of handplanes. And it is cheap.

Foul...drive-by...nice jointer Travis...

Yeah you caught me...drive by stealth gloat...

As a side note, and only slightly off topic...I keep a toilet bowl wax ring in my shop and put the tips of my screws in it before I send them into a piece of wood. The wax really lubes up the screws and helps prevent stripping out.

PS...this is a family woodworking forum, no using innuendo when quoting my post :)