Magazine prices

Drew Watson

Ok I know that this may seem trivial to people and I expect to get someone telling me that life is not fair, but I just went out to get the latest edition of the Wood Magazine from Wall mart as they have honored the lower US pricing that is listed on the cover. Not anymore. They are all listed in only Canadian prices now ( I am assuming that this is just in Canada). They didn't lower the pricing to match the lower US pricing they just eliminated the US pricing off the mag completely, Still gouging us it seems because they can. Sorry for ranting about this and No I didn't buy the mag just for the principle of the matter.

That is a bummer Drew. Do you guys not get the 2 years for the price of one when you subscribe? That would take some of the sting out of it.

Hi Glen, Sorry for the rant I am just ticked off at the mag companies. I am not aware of a 2 for 1 offer here. Wood Magazine here is 7 issues ( one year ) for 14.65 or 14 issues (2 years) for 44.30. Yes it is cheaper and I am going for the subscription with the FWW mag. With the Wood magazine I just buy the issues that have good projects or articles that interest me in them. The price difference is just a buck and I know that it is trivial but it is the principle that there is even any difference in the costs with the dollar at or close to par.

That is a bummer Drew. Do you guys not get the 2 years for the price of one when you subscribe? That would take some of the sting out of it.

Who offers that deal!?

Drew, most of the folks here are Americans and I doubt they realize how shafted Canadians get on woodworking magazines. Folks, for years, American magazines regularly charged prices to Canadians that did not just represent the currency exchange rate. Premiums of $10 per year for shipping were (are?) common.

I just received my renewal offer for FWW, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the annual rate is now $34.95. I thought it was closer to $40 when I subscribed originally. But as for Glenn's comment about two for one?? :huh: The FWW offer is $34.95 for one year, $59.95 for two, and $83.95 for three years. Anyone know what it is in the states?

...art

Who offers that deal!?

Drew, most of the folks here are Americans and I doubt they realize how shafted Canadians get on woodworking magazines. Folks, for years, American magazines regularly charged prices to Canadians that did not just represent the currency exchange rate. Premiums of $10 per year for shipping were (are?) common.
Yeah, and America probably had to buy the timber from Canada to make the paper. :huh:

Yeah, and America probably had to buy the timber from Canada to make the paper. :huh:

.....and I'll guarantee you they paid the going rate, not some jumped up number. :D

Drew, to make you feel better, if a magazine's US cover price is say $5, here in Japan, we get the privilege of paying about $15 for the same magazine :doh:

Way back when, one US dollar could by 300 yen, but that was a LONG time ago, now one US dollar buys about 107 yen, but the prices are still WAY out of whack:dunno:

I only get Fine Wood Working, and I've decided not to renew it this time around, I've found, for myself, personally, that it has become more of a "Mediocre" woodworking, I will say that last edition, had a LOT of fine wood working in it, but that edition was the exception to the rule.

I will keep my online subscription, I find that worthwhile.

Cheers!

Alan I am not sure that all the pulp and paper mills are in the states. I know that we have lots here in BC that ship the raw paper product globally. Actually lots of the saw mills here are shutting down due to the slump in the American housing market. I would expect our neighbors to the south will be seeing a rise in the cost of lumber in the next while as will everyone that buys BC lumber ( yes us too). :doh:

Joe Thanks for the link and yes it is too bad that they don't deliver to Canada.:dunno:

Art thanks for the info on the FWW mag pricings all I could find was the pricing for the 1 yr subscription.

Stu thanks for the info on the online subscription I think I will check into that, But I still like having the mags around as I find the computer just doesn't fit into the bathroom as good as the mags do and it makes swatting flies a whole lot more difficult :rofl:

the comments about content in the current WW mags reminded me of something. i like to read in bed to get sleepy and WW mags and catalogs are a favorite. when i ran out of current stuff i pulled out an older FWW mag from 15 or so years ago. how impressive these old issues are! even the letters to the editor and the tips pages are impressive. i can't live long enough to reread my entire collection but, if you have any older mags, give them a try.

I just looked at the cover of my latest copy of "WOOD" magazine, and see that they no longer list a Canadian price under the bar code. It just says '$6.99 US.' The September '07 issue has both prices - $6.99 US / $7.95 Cdn.

Are they printing separate covers for the Canadian issue? That would seem kind of extravagant/costly to me. Certainly not cost effective in an industry as cut-throat as is publishing.

Odd, eh?

...Are they printing separate covers for the Canadian issue? That would seem kind of extravagant/costly to me. Certainly not cost effective in an industry as cut-throat as is publishing.

Odd, eh?

I would be a bit surprised if they weren't using some kind of distributed printing where the data is sent electronically to a print facility nearer to the point of sale and printed there. Although this gives a shorter print run it allows for a degree of "regionalising" of content and saves a big chunk of money in not having to drive lorries around with printed material on them.

...............Stu thanks for the info on the online subscription I think I will check into that, But I still like having the mags around as I find the computer just doesn't fit into the bathroom as good as the mags do and it makes swatting flies a whole lot more difficult :rofl:

Pssst......

Hey Drew, they make these things called printers, they are really neat, you put blank paper in them, and then select the neat pic thing on your computer, next, you just hit the "Print" button and the blank paper comes out the other end of the printer gadget with the pics and words from the computer screen..............:eek: They even have COLOR ones now........ ;) :D

All kidding aside, I know what you mean about the portability of the magazines, but the neat thing about the online subscription to Fine Wood Working is that you can go back through the archive and pic out the things you want to read, and print them, and you avoid all the adverts and the stupid little stiff paper things that fall out of the magazine all over the floor :doh:

Cheers! :wave:

I just looked at the cover of my latest copy of "WOOD" magazine, and see that they no longer list a Canadian price under the bar code. It just says '$6.99 US.' The September '07 issue has both prices - $6.99 US / $7.95 Cdn.

Are they printing separate covers for the Canadian issue? That would seem kind of extravagant/costly to me. Certainly not cost effective in an industry as cut-throat as is publishing.

Odd, eh?

Jim The current list price in Canada is $8.99 and they took the less expensive US prices off the mags totally.

Pssst......

Hey Drew, they make these things called printers, they are really neat, you put blank paper in them, and then select the neat pic thing on your computer, next, you just hit the "Print" button and the blank paper comes out the other end of the printer gadget with the pics and words from the computer screen..............:eek: They even have COLOR ones now........ ;) :D

And all these years I have been hand printing all the documents out, darn don't I feel silly now :doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Jim that was on the FWW mag. I looked at the mags i bought last year and that was the same pricing that was listed then and the US pricing was 7.99 so 1 dollar difference. It can't be the shipping costs as Victoria and Vancouver are right on the border as are most other major cities in Canada. The Wood mag has not hit the shelves here yet. It's just robbery