Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Planer Reputation

Best Planer Reputation

I am going to get a planer in the next couple months and have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a user planer. I know that certain manufacturers have a particular tool that they are well known for (ie. mikita, bosch = scms, ...).

Which companies are known for making a good, solid planer? I don't have a tonne of money too spend ... looking at around $300 or $400 or less if I can find used.

Thanks.

dawson,

are you looking for a benchtop or stationary? i assume the later since most bench models are in your price range new

i use a dewalt 735 in my cabinet shop, it has done a great job in a semi production enviroment. i don't know enough about the brands of floor models.

hopefully someone else has more info.

chris

I have the....are you surprised?....Grizzly G0505. For price and size, it is a serious working hoss. I know lots of folks question the 2 hp claim but it doesn't slow down, does the job. Blades are 1/8" thick as compared to 1/16" for many other brands. And reversible. Price is right. I like mine.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I guess it would help to know what type of work you plan to do - what sort of capacity you need.

I've got a used Inca combination joiner planer that i really like a lot. I see them come up used in the 300 - 500 dollar range. It's a swiss machine, and Inca isn't imported here any more, but i can still get parts should i need them. Its capacity is a little over 10 inches, which would be a downside for some folks. The trend seems to be for larger machines with more capacity. Sure, if a 15" machine came my way, i would at least think about it, but i've used other planers, and i've not found one i like as well for the money.

Old iron options would be Parks, Boise Crane, Craftsman (made by Parks), Powermatic, Delta, or Oliver (to name a few). The old iron planers were made for industry, not the home shop. Most of them are pretty big. A lot of people like the old Parks / Craftsman because it's a workhorse that's not huge. Running old machinery isn't for everyone, but if you've got some mechanical aptitude and aren't scared off by obsolete brand names, it's a great way to get industrial grade machinery for the price (or less) of newer hobbiest or job site grade stuff. There's a lot of very helpful information (photos, manual reprints, maintenance / rebuild articals, very helpful discussion forum, etc.) over at www.owwm.org or the sister website, www.owwm.com. If you've got an old machine, that resource is invaluable.

One other note - if you don't already have a way to collect the wood dust, now might be a good time to start thinking about it. Nothing makes chips and dust like a planer. At the very leaste, you'll want a connection to a good shop vac AND a fine partical respirator / dust mask. A proper dust collector would be the best option. Your lungs will thank you.

Paul Hubbman

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I have the....are you surprised?....Grizzly G0505. For price and size, it is a serious working hoss. I know lots of folks question the 2 hp claim but it doesn't slow down, does the job. Blades are 1/8" thick as compared to 1/16" for many other brands. And reversible. Price is right. I like mine.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505
    Frank, I take it that you are a Grizzly fan? I personally don't have any problem with Grizzly tools though I hear that lots do, for some reason? How many blades does it have? 120v or 240? What kind of feed roller does it have ( this question is due to the Dewalt 735 that I have and certain black marks that appear from time to time from the feed rollers)?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Thanks for the replies ... the Grizzly certainly is a good price. Does anyone else have experience with those planers?

Also, I found an older (8 yrs old) Craftsman for sale thats not too far from where I live, but the guy didn't know the exact model. I've posted a picture of it, but its not the greatest. Would this be one of the Park machines you are talking about? The guys asking $400 CDN ... seems a little steep to me, but what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails planer3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Mossman View Post
    The guys asking $400 CDN

Dawson, are you in Canada? This will effect any recommendations. For example, no Grizzly's ship to Canada.

The C-man in the pic would lead me to believe you are looking for a planer kinda like this:

As opposed to like this:

In the lunch box arena you will hear DeWalt pretty consistently although the new Ridgid has quite a few fans. To a lesser degree, Delta, Makita and others play in this field. I have a DW734 (three knives, one speed, rubber rollers) and my dad has the DW735 (three knives, two speeds and rubber rollers). The black mark issue you speak of is a matter of proper maintenance. I keep my rollers clean and my beds waxed and have never gotten marks although I have had feed problems when I forget to clean and wax every 150 board feet or so.

For the floor models, I'll let others comment as I am not familiar with older machines that you might find in your price range. Most floor machines use serrated steel rollers that can cause some dimpling. Steel City uses serrated on the infeed and rubber on the outfeed to give lunch box-like surfaces. I'm sure there's a lot of floor model stuff I don't know about but, we have a pretty knowledgeable group here and I'm sure someone will chine in. Enjoy the hunt ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-24-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn, yes I am in Canada (New Brunswick). I will be building a garage this spring that will be pretty much dedicated to my workshop, so a portable planer vs. standup is not a big deal for me. My biggest concern is $$ ... I'm just getting into this stuff and don't want to spend a lot getting more than I really need. Basically, just looking to get the best bang for my buck.

I may be able to make a visit down to Maine if there are Grizzly dealers there and if that came highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Dawson, are you in Canada? This will effect any recommendations. For example, no Grizzly's ship to Canada.

The black mark issue you speak of is a matter of proper maintenance. I keep my rollers clean and my beds waxed and have never gotten marks although I have had feed problems when I forget to clean and wax every 150 board feet or so.
    Glenn, Grizzley doesn't directly ship to Canada but you can go through a shipping company ( ups... ) and a broker to get things from Grizzly. If you live in a town close to a Grizzly store it is cheaper to go and pick it up.

I have found even with all the proper cleaning and waxing I still get black marks and I am not alone as this is one of the major complaints about this machine. The good thing is that they sand out pretty easy.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Mossman View Post
    I may be able to make a visit down to Maine if there are Grizzly dealers there and if that came highly recommended.
    Dawson Unfortunatly Grizzly has only 3 showrooms in the US. In Washington, Pennsylvania & Missouri. I have found the staff very helpful and friendly at the Bellingham store and what tools I have gotten from Grizzly (8" Jointer and the 2hp cyclone) I find to be top of the line. Fww did a review on the Jointer that came in 1st place and the Cyclone was the best price anywhere ( even got a good gloat over that as I bought it the first day of the christmas sale and saved an unexpected $100.00 on the price, Also the exchange was at $1.05 at the time so double gloat ) and they both are excellent machines.