Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do...what to do???

What to do...what to do???

Well the wife has to take some college courses in order to get recertified as a teacher, so she will be gone all weekend taking these courses. That leaves me to babysit Alyson ALL weekend...

So the question is, what the heck do you do with a 18 month old for that amount of time? Its not like she can really go to the movies, or can go to a museum or anything, and since its -10 F out right now, going to the park is out as well. Heck with temps this cold I can't even put her in her baby-backpack and go snowmobiling with her...

This is going to be one LONGGGGGGGGGGG weekend.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis,

Don't have a daughter, but I do have six boys, and a wife who works nights and weekends. One word: DVDs. At 18 months, Fantasia's a good one, but you have to rewind it before the next to last scene...

Sesame street is good too: there's a reason kids are fascinated, and it has to do with camera work. Besides, it's helpful: my three year old came out to the shop. I said "look, James" and held up something I'd just finished. He said "Wow, doc, that's so cool: You made a hexagon!"

So try sesame street. And fantasia...

Thanks,

Bill

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Well when I was in your position, I must have logged about 10,000 hours of Sesame Street and Barney. The songs were stuck in my head until I thought I would go insane! But play games, take her for walks, sledding, wear he out so she takes naps, etc.

Good luck.
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    Well when I was in your position, I must have logged about 10,000 hours of Sesame Street and Barney. The songs were stuck in my head until I thought I would go insane!
    One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is different you know....

La La la la, la la la la, Elmo's world....Thaaaaat's Elmo's world!...

I love you, you love me, were a great big happy.....

Sorry Bill, I'm there now...and I can't stop the music in my head......someone help!!!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Note to self....

Do not allow a 18 month old to feed herself yogurt early in the morning. (or anytime for that matter).

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis,
    At 18 months my kids liked blocks (mostly knocking things down that i built - but it's good for an hour or two). Books. They also liked "helping" make things in the kitchen - cookies, bread, soup, jello, pudding, whatever. Just assume it'll be a bit messy. Books. Painting (messy i know, but a real crowd pleaser - fingers, sponges, or brushes). And never underestimate the primal draw to Pla-do. This can keep kids going for quite a while. More books. Crayons or markers - yep, potentially messy again. And, apparently she likes yogurt. Bathtime can be in the middle of the day with lots of water fun - especially good after some quality kitchen or painting time.
    Heck, can i come over too?
    When i had the kids at that age, i could really only enjoy it if i didn't try to get anything else done. Now that they're older, i can get them involved in most anything i do, but i doubt you want to hand your daughter a hammer and some nails.
    Have fun - try not to go too insane.
    Paul Hubbman

Most importantly Travis.........Enjoy her!.........You'll turn around soon and she'll be asking for the car keys...............and then some guy will be asking for her hand.....in marriage..........and then you'll be wondering what to do with your 18 month old grand daughter......and then...

Tonight we are babysitting our 18 month old great-granddaughter....I"m not 60 yet.......where did time go?

Enjoy!
    Ken
    ------

"I have to ask you this, and I don't know if others have been curious or not, but I've seen you refer to your wife as "Doorlink". Is that her real name? She's gotta be special to take care of 6 boys, the both of 'ya!"

Alan,

I don't want to hijack Travis' thread, so I'll send this link instead:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=5625

Just for fun, here's a new year's eve pic of everyone together, including a very rare pic of the 12 year old actually smiling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allsix.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	17149

The first two were raised without much exposure to TV, the next two watched lots of videos, the last two had many video games added to the mix. In thirty years, we can do a comparative study on the effects of electronic media in childhood...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Most importantly Travis.........Enjoy her!.........You'll turn around soon and she'll be asking for the car keys...............and then some guy will be asking for her hand.....in marriage..........and then you'll be wondering what to do with your 18 month old grand daughter......and then...

Tonight we are babysitting our 18 month old great-granddaughter....I"m not 60 yet.......where did time go?

Enjoy!
    AMEN
    Raised 5 children now 17 grandchildern
    Travis............trust KEN and ME............Monday you are going to ask where did the weekend (s) go

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!