What to do...what to do???

Well the wife has to take some college courses in order to get recertified as a teacher, so she will be gone all weekend taking these courses. That leaves me to babysit Alyson ALL weekend...

So the question is, what the heck do you do with a 18 month old for that amount of time? Its not like she can really go to the movies, or can go to a museum or anything, and since its -10 F out right now, going to the park is out as well. Heck with temps this cold I can't even put her in her baby-backpack and go snowmobiling with her...

This is going to be one LONGGGGGGGGGGG weekend.

Travis,

Don't have a daughter, but I do have six boys, and a wife who works nights and weekends. One word: DVDs. At 18 months, Fantasia's a good one, but you have to rewind it before the next to last scene... ;)

Sesame street is good too: there's a reason kids are fascinated, and it has to do with camera work. Besides, it's helpful: my three year old came out to the shop. I said "look, James" and held up something I'd just finished. He said "Wow, doc, that's so cool: You made a hexagon!"

So try sesame street. And fantasia... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Well when I was in your position, I must have logged about 10,000 hours of Sesame Street and Barney. The songs were stuck in my head until I thought I would go insane! But play games, take her for walks, sledding, wear he out so she takes naps, etc.

Good luck. :p

Well when I was in your position, I must have logged about 10,000 hours of Sesame Street and Barney. The songs were stuck in my head until I thought I would go insane! :p

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is different you know....

La La la la, la la la la, Elmo's world....Thaaaaat's Elmo's world!...

I love you, you love me, were a great big happy.....

Sorry Bill, I'm there now...and I can't stop the music in my head...:doh::eek:...someone help!!!:p

Note to self....

Do not allow a 18 month old to feed herself yogurt early in the morning. (or anytime for that matter).

Messy_Alyson.JPG

Travis,
At 18 months my kids liked blocks (mostly knocking things down that i built - but it's good for an hour or two). Books. They also liked "helping" make things in the kitchen - cookies, bread, soup, jello, pudding, whatever. Just assume it'll be a bit messy. Books. Painting (messy i know, but a real crowd pleaser - fingers, sponges, or brushes). And never underestimate the primal draw to Pla-do. This can keep kids going for quite a while. More books. Crayons or markers - yep, potentially messy again. And, apparently she likes yogurt. Bathtime can be in the middle of the day with lots of water fun - especially good after some quality kitchen or painting time.
Heck, can i come over too?
When i had the kids at that age, i could really only enjoy it if i didn't try to get anything else done. Now that they're older, i can get them involved in most anything i do, but i doubt you want to hand your daughter a hammer and some nails.
Have fun - try not to go too insane.
Paul Hubbman

Most importantly Travis.........Enjoy her!.........You'll turn around soon and she'll be asking for the car keys...............and then some guy will be asking for her hand.....in marriage..........and then you'll be wondering what to do with your 18 month old grand daughter......and then...

Tonight we are babysitting our 18 month old great-granddaughter....I"m not 60 yet.......where did time go?

Enjoy!

"I have to ask you this, and I don't know if others have been curious or not, but I've seen you refer to your wife as "Doorlink". Is that her real name? She's gotta be special to take care of 6 boys, the both of 'ya!"

Alan,

I don't want to hijack Travis' thread, so I'll send this link instead:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5625

Just for fun, here's a new year's eve pic of everyone together, including a very rare pic of the 12 year old actually smiling:

allsix.jpg

The first two were raised without much exposure to TV, the next two watched lots of videos, the last two had many video games added to the mix. In thirty years, we can do a comparative study on the effects of electronic media in childhood... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Most importantly Travis.........Enjoy her!.........You'll turn around soon and she'll be asking for the car keys...............and then some guy will be asking for her hand.....in marriage..........and then you'll be wondering what to do with your 18 month old grand daughter......and then...

Tonight we are babysitting our 18 month old great-granddaughter....I"m not 60 yet.......where did time go?

Enjoy!

AMEN
Raised 5 children now 17 grandchildern
Travis............trust KEN and ME............Monday you are going to ask where did the weekend (s) go:doh::doh::doh::doh:

That leaves me to babysit Alyson ALL weekend....

Travis, this has been mentioned before, but you are NOT babysitting with your daughter - you are PARENTING! You go about your chores and plans for doing what you were going to do this weekend, and let your daughter tag along and watch, or help - she's not too young to learn how to put forks and spoons away or "dust" the furniture or "sand" a piece of wood.

She can go to museums, she can go to the mall and get exercise, there are lots of things that you can include your daughter in that you were intending to do. You need to figure out how your wife deals with Alyson all day and do the same things. If all else fails, you just plunk her into her room to play by herself, which I presume she can do??

You aren't her babysitter; you are her father. And at 18 months, she should be able to find her mouth with a spoon and eat that yogurt without making a huge mess.

JMHO--as a parent of three and grandparent of 4--using common sense rather than Dr. Spock.

Nancy

Last edited:
Travis I hate to say this and ruin the easy way out but don't do the TV route. Spend time with her and just play. Tv is just too easy and in my opinion one of the major problems with our society as a whole. I was a house dad for 3 1/2 yrs when i lived up in Northern BC ( while I renoed our home) I worked out of my shop but spent most of my time taking care of the 2 boys that I have. It was tough and challenging, but I wouldn't change a second of it for any amount of money. Crayons paper and some imagination. Old scrap wood blocks and color them. Reading books to her ( you do remember what those are :doh: ) Cuddle up in a chair and read stories add all the funny voices and the expressions and sound effects. What ever you do it together and share the experience with her. This is the most precious time in her life where memories and bonds are made.

Alyson's not into TV which I am happy about...books, dolls and her kitchen set are the things she likes. I actually don't mind watching her. Some of what I say has some tongue-in-cheek humor in it, which is hard to decipher on a written forum I know.

We just had some fun over to my Grandmother's (Alyson Great Grandmother). Now this woman was a farmers wife for years, and threw out her back lifting a 50 pound bag of potatoes going down the cellar steps a few months ago. That is a long way of saying she's a pretty rough and tumble woman. Watching her goe-goe/ga-ga over Alyson is kind of funny, but cool too. Funny how children can bring the best out of people.

As for getting Alyson involved in stuff, I do that all the time. Here is a pic of her "helping" me install child proof locks on the cabinet doors, and one of her "helping" me sharpen a router bit. There is no question, she is indeed a true Daddy's girl.

daddy_s_helper-small.JPG

Alys_Router_Bit.JPG

Most importantly, enjoy. Relax. An 18 month old will pretty much do what she wants. Your job is to watch, keep her filled up on top and dried off on bottom. Play time with her is important as well. But don't try to keep up with her activities, you will be flat wore out in thirty seconds if you try.

"I have to ask you this, and I don't know if others have been curious or not, but I've seen you refer to your wife as "Doorlink". Is that her real name? She's gotta be special to take care of 6 boys, the both of 'ya!"

Alan,

I don't want to hijack Travis' thread, so I'll send this link instead:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5625

Just for fun, here's a new year's eve pic of everyone together, including a very rare pic of the 12 year old actually smiling:

View attachment 17149

The first two were raised without much exposure to TV, the next two watched lots of videos, the last two had many video games added to the mix. In thirty years, we can do a comparative study on the effects of electronic media in childhood... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill I'm only half as qualified as you are... My boys are currently ages 20, 14 and 8. And while I didn't raise the eldest the first few years directly, I've known and loved them all since they were little. I showed your portrait of the family to my wife and she wondered what the boys ages are. She calls the age difference between our boys the 'insanity spread'.

Travis,
Enjoy every minute, trust me, they grow up way too quickly.