Now this is starting to irriate me.

Ken Garlock

You may remember my post about a lady backing into my car.

I have talked to the insurance company of the lady, AIG, and they have not been able to make contact with her. She will not answer messages on her cell or home phones. The adjuster has sent a letter her home address and is awaiting a reply. If the adjuster does not receive a response, an adjuster will be sent to her home to attempt to get in contact. This process wil take another week.:(

Today I was told that if they can't contact the lady, the claim will be turned over to her supervisor for evaluation, and most likely will be denied.:mad::bang: I told her that my wife was in my car, and she said that my wife was not an unbiased witness. I told the adjuster that denying the claim would not be any fun for either of us.

I don't know, but is it possible to put a lien on her Suburban if all else fails?:dunno:

Ken, I would talk to your insurance co....they can handle it for you. That's why you pay for insurance. I deal with adusters all day, everyday and that's what they have told me to tell customers in the past.

Do you have uninsured motorist coverage? File a claim. Your company won't want to pay if she is insured and will get on her company like flies on manure. Or, you can file a lawsuit against her. Your gripe is not with the insurance company but the person who caused the accident.

Frank nailed it. Wait till they deny it and then file a claim with your insurance. That will take care of you and your car. I had to do that once. Let the Insurance Companies duke it out.

Just thinking, you might want to call your Insurance Co. now and see if they have any advice.

Not to rub salt in the wound and maybe things are different in your state. But thats why I always get a police office to write a report. No denial then.

Sorry to hear about this Ken. Unfortunately it seems more and more that the vehicle damage is the least of the problem in a fender bender.:( I have gone through my insurance company before and for the most part it has been hassle free. Expect to get some push back because you don't have a police report - but stay firm since you did contact them immediately.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.

Wes

Thanks for the ideas, men.

I have filed a memo with my insurance company, USAA. It is like a claim but with out any of the coverage activated. I will give the AIG adjuster another week and see what develops.

I occurred to me this afternoon that I might be able to file a lien on her Suburban?:dunno: Of course that would involve a lawyer, I think....

Jeff is on target. My agent really steps up to the plate when required. It is in their best interest because if the lady skates-out you will probably go to your insurance company for the repairs and they don't want that.

This may be moot but after I lost in a situation like this I was advised, that when in a fender bender, have the other person write down their info and give it to you as opposed to writing it down yourself. This places a bit of evidence in your hands should they try to change their story later on.

Had a kid back into my daughter's car a while back and mess up the fender. Was able to call his insurance while I had him there (took lots of pics too) and had him confess to his deeds before we left the scene. It worked out well, but have had the same issue as you in the past. Ended up claiming it with my insurance and they sued the other party's insurance for the damages. This was much faster at getting my car fixed, besides they have the professionals on hand to deal with the claim from the other party.

Good Luck

Jeff is on target. snip, snip-----
This may be moot but after I lost in a situation like this I was advised, that when in a fender bender, have the other person write down their info and give it to you as opposed to writing it down yourself. This places a bit of evidence in your hands should they try to change their story later on.

Bingo Glenn, the lady DID write down the her info including address, insurance, cell phone and driver license number. I left a message on the adjuster's voice mail that I would be happy to send her a copy.:thumb:

As an aside, I was hit by a car in Dallas on my way to work over 15 yers ago. The Dallas police said that they don't investigate fender benders, and to just exchange insurance info. Fortunately there was no problem settling that claim.

Last edited:
Hi Ken, Sorry to hear that you are going through all of this. My fiancee is an insurance agent and I told her about your situation. Her advice was to let the insurance agents do what they get paid to do. They know their job and though it may be frustrating to you it will unfortunatly take time to sort out. The problems with getting a hold of the woman may be honest and just, Maybe she is out of the country on Vactaion or has a sick family member that she is visiting, Maybe she is avoiding the company. You don't know and to make assumptions is just wrong. This is what insurance agents deal with all the time. People get mad at them without knowing all the facts. You have done everything that you could have and now it is in their hands. Like she said she was going to pass it on to her supervisor. You should wait and see what comes of that before going any further.

I'm with USAA also Ken. 35 years now. Had a few claims, but nothing like your experiencing. Most recent LOML backed out of the garage with door down. OOPS!!!:eek::doh:

I think I'd be getting USAA involved by now. They will have to pay to fix your car if the other insurance doesn't pony up, and then go after the the other insurance to get their money back.

Have you talked to USAA and tried to get them involved? If not I would call first thing Monday.

Karl

Ken,

That's what you pay your insurance agent and company for. When I've been in an incident, I just contact my agent. It's his company that will finally be liable to either get the money from the other company or pay the bill themselves.

Progress at last

The next chapter.:thumb:

Monday I talked to the AIG adjuster and they still had not been able to contact their insured parties. I did find out that Texas gives the insurance company 30 days to contact the insured party. I was getting rather frustrated.

I called the claims agent at USAA that I had originally talked with just after the accident occurred. She contacted her counterpart at AIG and verified that there was indeed a valid policy in effect. This morning USAA forwarded authorization for repair to the Service King shop in McKinney. Once I am sure that the fax is in their hot little hands, I will mosey over and arrange the drop off.

Since the other party is at fault, I don't get charged a deductible, and if the cost is recovered from AIG, no increase in rates for me.

Several years somebody with a 'no brand' insurance policy got me in a parking lot. No 'official' police report because it was on provate property. I worked with the local 'agent' for a couple weeks to get the adjuster out to look at my truck. Wife called the 'agent' and told them if we didn't hear from the adjuster in the next 30 minutes she was calling the Insurance Commissioner. It was probably only 10 minutes later the guy called me and set the appointment.

They might have 30 days by law, but that doesn't mean they NEED 30 days.

...I called the claims agent at USAA that I had originally talked with just after the accident occurred. She contacted her counterpart at AIG and verified that there was indeed a valid policy in effect. This morning USAA forwarded authorization for repair to the Service King shop in McKinney. Once I am sure that the fax is in their hot little hands, I will mosey over and arrange the drop off...
Glad to see things are getting worked out, Ken.

Your post got me to thinking (I know, that's a risky proposition)...do people in states other than Texas mosey? Not sure I've seen it done outside of the Lone Star state. :p