Now this is starting to irriate me.

They mosey in southern Illinois.....I used to mosey but gave it up about the time my accent left......Now in my later years I hobble but I think I could relearn to mosey without too much trouble.:D

Hi Vaughn.

I think mosey is a Texas, and surrounding state thing. Before I got my 'fixing tos' down, I said saunter and the natives didn't know what I was talking about. On the other hand, when a Texan talked about fixing to do something, I though they were going to repair it. What was it the Englishman(?) said, the US and England are separated by a common language.;)

As it turns out, I didn't have to mosey. I used that newfangled thing on the wall. I think it is called a tellyfone.:D So I take the car in Monday at 8 AM.

Yeah, I've heard of other Southerners "moseying"...I just got a kick out of seeing it in print. :p My Dad's a Texan, so for a long-haired hippie freak from California I have a pretty good Texas (and general Southern) vocabulary. :D I've also spent enough time on the Eastern edge of New Mexico (far West Texas) :) that I can switch into the Southern lingo in a heartbeat. Comes in handy when I'm anywhere in the South. I still get confused from time to time. I recall once I was in an elevator in Atlanta and I asked a guy what floor the event I was attending was one. He said "mash three". I said "what?" He said "just mash three". Took me a bit to figure out he was telling me to press the button for the third floor.

Local phrases are kind of fun. Check out clerks around here ask if you want a sack for your items. I guess that goes back to the tow sack used when picking cotton.

I tell them no but it will pillage a little. Only about 1 in 10 connect it to sack and pillage a conquered city. Oh well, no one understands my sense of humor.

Atlanta, it has been a long time since I visited. There was a restaurant downtown called Pity Pats Porch that was a popular. Lots of good southern cooking and a long salad bar. OH yes, there was a balcony set up as a porch with rocking chairs where you could have a drink while waiting for a table. Fun place to dine.

Last edited:
I understand "mosey", but there's a word in the thread title that I'm curious about.... :rolleyes:

Was it supposed to be "irrigate"? Maybe "irradiate"? :rofl:

Sorry - there goes MY weird sense of humor.... :doh:

I understand "mosey", but there's a word in the thread title that I'm curious about.... :rolleyes:

Was it supposed to be "irrigate"? Maybe "irradiate"? :rofl:

Sorry - there goes MY weird sense of humor.... :doh:

Irrigate: a euphamism for being P----d off. You have had your pipes irrigated.

When Mosey'n in Tx, there are also a few words that give a direction to the mosey'n also, ie;

Mosey up = North
Mosey Down = South
Mosey Over = East
Mosey Out = West
or
Mosey In = go into town
Mosey Out = go to the country
Mosey Around = Wander, Meander, Browse

Proper use of the terminology Saves Questions and Words.:D
I imagine some of them are used in other states too.

The saga continues with an end in site.

The middle of last week I arranged to take my car in for repair on Monday, today. Friday afternoon, the AIG adjuster called to say that AIG would pay for the repairs. So I called the lady at USAA and told her to cancel the authorization to repair that USAA had issued. I also asked her to verify with AIG that they were really really going to pay for the repairs.

So, this morning I dropped off the car at the local Service King and hope to get it back either Thursday or Friday. The check-in lady at Service King asked who was going to repair it, AIG or USAA. I told her to tear up the USAA authorization.

Ken,
I'm glad it worked out for you and your vehicle is being repaired. I see folks get caught in the insurance company run around all the time and it really chaps my butt. So here's some fee advice from a guy who sees this stuff every day:

If you had just let the insurance co handle it form the beginning you'd probably already have your vehicle fixed and you'd sure have a lot less aggravation. You pay your insurance for a reason, to take care of issues just like this and make it as quick and painless as possible on you, the costumer. I understand wanting to "handle" it on your own, but it really is counter productive 99% of the time. It's a funny thing about insurance companies, they really dislike paying to fix your car. Something about effecting their profit margin:) When you try and deal with the "at fault" company on your own they will do everything to eliminate or reduce the pay out. They also know the laws and little tricks much better than you putting you at a severe disadvantage. You pay your agent to be an advocate on your behalf and broker the deal so to say. They're much more experienced and knowledgeable than you are at playing the game and getting what you want. Notice how they strung you along for almost 2 weeks? Notice how fast things started moving once your agent got involved? Sometimes it really is best to let the professionals do the dirty work.

Mike

The middle of last week I arranged to take my car in for repair on Monday, today. Friday afternoon, the AIG adjuster called to say that AIG would pay for the repairs. So I called the lady at USAA and told her to cancel the authorization to repair that USAA had issued. I also asked her to verify with AIG that they were really really going to pay for the repairs.

So, this morning I dropped off the car at the local Service King and hope to get it back either Thursday or Friday. The check-in lady at Service King asked who was going to repair it, AIG or USAA. I told her to tear up the USAA authorization.

You have some good points, Mike. Yes, it would appear that things were on hold until I got USAA involved. The car is now in the shop.:thumb:

A little background on USAA, United Services Automobile Association. It is a member only company that insures people who are in or have been in a branch of the US armed forces, and or their direct relatives(wife, children.) They have no agents rather everything is handled over the phone or by mail. In addition to auto, home owners, and life insurance, they also have a full service bank, credit card, and stock investment/mutual funds services. I have probably missed something. The last I heard, they have over 6 million members worldwide. It is not a profit company, and I regularly get get an annual refund on part of my premium based upon what they had to pay out in the proceeding year. I would estimate that outside of the military installations in San Antonio, it is arguably the largest employer in San Antonio. I have been a member for 43 years starting as a 2nd Lt. back in 1965.

Glad it all worked out for you. Your refund check should have been a bit more the last 2 years, that is when I made my daughter go out get here own ins.:
Been with USAA since 1972, always great service.

They have no agents rather everything is handled over the phone or by mail

Poor choice of words on my behalf, I should have said "costumer service agent" or representative. Either way, they serve the same purpose, they act on your behalf to resolve the claim.

I'm familiar with USAA, going on 27 years of service. 8 years active duty, and the remaining 19 in a reserve status. Presently on my 3rd activation since 9/11. When this one is over I'll have over 4 years in support of the WOT.

Mike