Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrollers, what do you think of this?

Scrollers, what do you think of this?

There have been times when I wanted a decent scroll saw but never enough to spend the big bucks for a good one. What’s your opinion of this Rockwell Delta Model 40-440?
    Is it a good scroll saw or just an interesting collectable?
    There’s a few of them over on OWWM, they do clean up nicely.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/551508626.html
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

That model is the old workhorse of school shops, Every shop I have taught in , visited in, went to school in, had that model. Strong sun of a gun, But limited in the ability to grip blades. Especially the tiny ones I use. the jaws are anchored in a thin square brass tubing (chrome plated on most) the tension is adjusted with either a clamping thumb screw that won't hold plus a spring inside. It runs in oil and most have never been changed, I believe you can find a super modern saw for far less moneys and will be better suited for fine detail scrolling. This is called a scroll saw but it its creation it was referred to as a Jig Saw and was used primary for those tasks until the Saber Saw which is now called the Jig saw was invented. With that this became a scroll saw, But Rockwell called the brute a Jig Saw for doing Scroll work. It is a dandy for learners and basic curved cuts and can do up to 2" thick material w/o a problem and can handle 1/4" blades with ease, but the smaller diameter scroll blade slip in the jaws.

Or at least that is my experience.

Thanks for the info Bill. I only half want one right now so I think I'll wait a while longer. It is kind of cool looking in a classic sort of way.

one."

Normally I am a true lover of old woodworking tools, but when it comes to scrollsaws, the love kind of stops. Paul Hubbman can give you better advice on this then me, but the older scrollsaws relied heavily on cast iron and sheer weight to control the vibration. That only worked up to a point. The newer models of today use better balancing to achieve the same goal...that being less vibration. They do a 10 times better job at it too.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I had one of those. You will be better off with a new, variable speed Delta for about the same money. That old saw had a poor grip system as said above, but the big killer was it ate blades like candy. The system has the spring on top and the arm on the bottom. With this setup, the blade is always going from tension to relaxed which causes metal fatigue. You wouldn't think it with the spring on top, but it is there. I went from this one to the 16" Delta variable speed to the DeWalt 20". The Delta was a good saw but didn't have the capacity I was looking for. On the plus side of the old Delta, it is a brut and weighed a ton.
    Dale

I have one similar, used it 3 or 4 times. But that price is WAY to high. Old scroll saws bring NOTHING! I was over at Redmond's in Atlanta this spring and had littlerly 40+ old iron scroll saws shoved to one side. Many different brands and states of repair or disrpair. $25, take your pick.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks guys.
    I'm going to pass on it, I'd have to push something out to make room for it anyway.
    Jeff, $25. Man, I'm in the wrong part of the country!

one."

That's about the going rate for an old scrollsaw here too I'm afraid.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    That's about the going rate for an old scrollsaw here too I'm afraid.
    Ahh, being a woodworker in New Mexico. Yesterday I bought one stick of Lacewood, 5.2 bf total for the bargain price of $84.00 or $15.27 a bf plus tax. It ain't easy.

one."