Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Family" visit...or...my time in the frozen Ozarks...

"Family" visit...or...my time in the frozen Ozarks...

As some of you might know, I've been working on a 'secret project' for quite some time. I announced not long ago that I was in the finishing stages and should be posting something 'soon'.

Well, the finish I'm attempting has been getting the better of me for almost a month. (I took on too large a project, and too complex a finish...but that's another story that I'll get into when I finally get to post the actual project thread).

To help me get over the challenges/problems I was having, tod was kind enough to allow me to bring the project to Arkansas and help me. I was hoping that we'd be able to make progress and I'd be heading home with a 'mostly' finished project. Tod had (almost) the same expectations.

But...as Frank F. has mentioned, the weather in the Ozarks has been abnormally cold. No, make that DOWNRIGHT FRIGID! In fact, it was so cold that lacquer wasn't drying!

I spent eight days braving the frigid temps in tod's shop...learning from a master. We didn't get anywhere near the amount of work done that we had hoped for. But seeing and working with a master was WELL worth the discomfort! What I learned in terms of technique and finesse is something that I couldn't have paid for elsewhere!

THANKS TOD!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here's proof that it happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8329.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	17187

Sorry for the pixelated areas of the photos...but I'm not giving anything away before I'm ready...

Here's another shot. This one is where tod was showing me the proper way to test fan pattern from the gun, as well as proper viscosity of the mix in the gun:

Name:	DSCN8272.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	17188

In case anyone doesn't realize it, that was a joke. Tod and I were discussing the actual flammability of lacquer and thinners. I've been...to say the least...afraid of lacquer. Tod was explaining that it wasn't anywhere near as flammable as I thought it was. To prove his point, he squirt the mix of lacquer and thinners in the gun directly into the open flame of the propane heater in his shop.

After I recovered and stood up from my hiding place behind the bench, I asked him to do it again. When I saw it I thought I just HAD to get a shot of that...so he was more than happy to do another demonstration for me.

Kids, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME!

All in all, it was a GREAT week or so...in spite of the unbelievably frigid weather...and inhumane hours. It was averaging 10-12 degrees at 4 in the morning when tod and I were driving to his shop. I still wouldn't trade that week for anything. No surprise, tod is an even better teacher in person than he is on here.

Again tod...THANKS!
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Sounds like you had a great one on one session!! Kudos to Tod to be there to help you out. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate.
    And no wonder you're having SO much problems with the spray finish...from the photo, there are no two surfaces that are on the same plane!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Ye didn't call?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I was waiting for you to post Frank!

With the hectic schedule we were keeping, the frustration we were both feeling, and me whining like a little baby about the cold, we figured it wasn't the ideal time for a visit.

I *WILL* be back up there soon. And I'll make sure tod gives you a call to come on over.

Sorry...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Marty.....Did you get to meet Roscoe?

IF SO .....Just color me JEALOUS!

Congrats! tod is a pretty civil guy but he doesn't want anyone to know it.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Marty.....Did you get to meet Roscoe?

IF SO .....Just color me JEALOUS!

Congrats! tod is a pretty civil guy but he doesn't want anyone to know it.
    Ken,

Not only did I get to meet Roscoe...and watch him devour a pack of hotdogs...

Name:	DSCN8289.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	17198

I got to meet the rest of the clan...Ma Barker and Bonnie:

Name:	DSCN8281.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	17199

Luckily, tod had enough hot dogs for the week and told them not to eat me!

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.

Aha, I wondered whyTod had been so quiet for a while, but now I guess he didn't want to take any chances of letting the cat out of the bag.

Sorry about the weather, but sounds like it was a pretty productive trip anyhow, even though you didn't get as far along as you would have liked.

(Incidentally, it hasn't been real warm in W. Tx lately either).

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:38 AM.

I de-pixilated your pics Marty – Very cool!

I would love to work along side a talented pro like Tod for a week or two!

I love the dogs!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

That must have been one tremenduous visit.Thanks for the photos which proved it happened!
    Mighty fine collection of friends ole Todd has there! When you left, one was gone.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how