"Family" visit...or...my time in the frozen Ozarks...

Marty Walsh

As some of you might know, I've been working on a 'secret project' for quite some time. I announced not long ago that I was in the finishing stages and should be posting something 'soon'.

Well, the finish I'm attempting has been getting the better of me for almost a month. (I took on too large a project, and too complex a finish...but that's another story that I'll get into when I finally get to post the actual project thread).

To help me get over the challenges/problems I was having, tod was kind enough to allow me to bring the project to Arkansas and help me. I was hoping that we'd be able to make progress and I'd be heading home with a 'mostly' finished project. Tod had (almost) the same expectations.

But...as Frank F. has mentioned, the weather in the Ozarks has been abnormally cold. No, make that DOWNRIGHT FRIGID! In fact, it was so cold that lacquer wasn't drying! :doh:

I spent eight days braving the frigid temps in tod's shop...learning from a master. We didn't get anywhere near the amount of work done that we had hoped for. But seeing and working with a master was WELL worth the discomfort! What I learned in terms of technique and finesse is something that I couldn't have paid for elsewhere!

THANKS TOD!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here's proof that it happened:

DSCN8329.jpg

Sorry for the pixelated areas of the photos...but I'm not giving anything away before I'm ready...:rolleyes:

Here's another shot. This one is where tod was showing me the proper way to test fan pattern from the gun, as well as proper viscosity of the mix in the gun:

DSCN8272.jpg

In case anyone doesn't realize it, that was a joke. Tod and I were discussing the actual flammability of lacquer and thinners. I've been...to say the least...afraid of lacquer. Tod was explaining that it wasn't anywhere near as flammable as I thought it was. To prove his point, he squirt the mix of lacquer and thinners in the gun directly into the open flame of the propane heater in his shop.

After I recovered and stood up from my hiding place behind the bench, I asked him to do it again. When I saw it I thought I just HAD to get a shot of that...so he was more than happy to do another demonstration for me.

Kids, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME! :eek:

All in all, it was a GREAT week or so...in spite of the unbelievably frigid weather...and inhumane hours. It was averaging 10-12 degrees at 4 in the morning when tod and I were driving to his shop. I still wouldn't trade that week for anything. No surprise, tod is an even better teacher in person than he is on here.

Again tod...THANKS!
- Marty -

Sounds like you had a great one on one session!! Kudos to Tod to be there to help you out. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate.
And no wonder you're having SO much problems with the spray finish...from the photo, there are no two surfaces that are on the same plane!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

I was waiting for you to post Frank! :doh:

With the hectic schedule we were keeping, the frustration we were both feeling, and me whining like a little baby about the cold, we figured it wasn't the ideal time for a visit.

I *WILL* be back up there soon. And I'll make sure tod gives you a call to come on over.

Sorry...:dunno:
- Marty -

Marty.....Did you get to meet Roscoe?

IF SO .....Just color me JEALOUS!

Congrats! tod is a pretty civil guy but he doesn't want anyone to know it.

Marty.....Did you get to meet Roscoe?

IF SO .....Just color me JEALOUS!

Congrats! tod is a pretty civil guy but he doesn't want anyone to know it.

Ken,

Not only did I get to meet Roscoe...and watch him devour a pack of hotdogs...

DSCN8289.jpg

I got to meet the rest of the clan...Ma Barker and Bonnie:

DSCN8281.jpg

Luckily, tod had enough hot dogs for the week and told them not to eat me! :eek::clap:

- Marty -

Aha, I wondered whyTod had been so quiet for a while, but now I guess he didn't want to take any chances of letting the cat out of the bag.;)

Sorry about the weather, but sounds like it was a pretty productive trip anyhow, even though you didn't get as far along as you would have liked.

(Incidentally, it hasn't been real warm in W. Tx lately either).

That must have been one tremenduous visit.Thanks for the photos which proved it happened!
Mighty fine collection of friends ole Todd has there! When you left, one was gone. :(

awesome visit.

kudos to tod for his hospitality and good ole fashion neighborly behavior

i bet it was quite a treat to see someone with tod's experience in action.

thanks for sharing

Marty,

How many pounds of hot dogs did tod go through while you were there?

Congrats! I'd love to spend some time working with a pro of tod's caliber! I know I could learn a lot.

Marty,

How many pounds of hot dogs did tod go through while you were there?

Congrats! I'd love to spend some time working with a pro of tod's caliber! I know I could learn a lot.

Ken,

I'm not sure how many pounds tod went through, but those three (along with the two mongrels in the background) make very short work of a pound package...perhaps two minutes...? The mastiffs don't even chew the hot dogs! :eek:

I'm glad I don't have to feed those beasts.

Oh sorry tod, I mean those gorgeous pedigree creatures! :D

- Marty -

Ok Alan....who's Claire? I did some googling and couldn't find any references...:dunno:

- Marty -
Wasn't Claire the gal that was married to Buck Barrows? Buck was Clyde Barrows Bro. In the movie, Claire (or maybe her name was something else) runs out of the house when the police show up, and possibly got peppered by the police shooting...

In the pic you posted, there's one dog back that is not very interested in what's going on, so I suspected it must be Claire...:rofl:

Well! It looks as if you enjoyed your time very much, :thumb: but...
Did you get really some real work done?? Not just a few things to calm down your concience? :D.

It is difficult to start working when someone is having such a great time in such a great company, Tod his dogs and everything...:thumb:

I wish I had been there as well, but then the word done would have been even less:rofl:

Wasn't Claire the gal that was married to Buck Barrows? Buck was Clyde Barrows Bro. In the movie, Claire (or maybe her name was something else) runs out of the house when the police show up, and possibly got peppered by the police shooting...

In the pic you posted, there's one dog back that is not very interested in what's going on, so I suspected it must be Claire...:rofl:

Alan,

I did some more googling and still couldn't find references to any "Claire". :dunno:

As for the dog in the background, he wasn't disinterested. He just knew his place...out of biting range of the mastiffs! :rofl:

Well! It looks as if you enjoyed your time very much, :thumb: but...
Did you get really some real work done?? Not just a few things to calm down your concience? :D.

It is difficult to start working when someone is having such a great time in such a great company, Tod his dogs and everything...:thumb:

I wish I had been there as well, but then the word done would have been even less:rofl:

Well Toni,

We didn't get all that much accomplished due to the frigid weather. But I sure learned alot! And now that I'm back down south in a more comfortable climate, I'm putting some of what I learned to use! :thumb:

- Marty -