Thread: Adirondack chairs

Pacific Northwest

Adirondack chairs

I finally got to make something other than cabinet doors this week. I hardly have time to read the forum these days, let alone participate. Anyway, I had to make these for an auction for my son's school. I used Lee Valley's plans because they had engineered the folding feature and I didn't want to have to think much about this project. I did end up calling them to clear up some ambiguity in the plans, but all in all, it is a nice design. I used tigerwood decking from one of my hardwood suppliers. For the arms, which are wider than the 1 x 6 decking, I used some jatoba, which was a good color match and should hold up OK to weather if it is sealed/finished. The hardware and screws are all stainless. It took at least 2 days for the first run through, including making 1/4" plywood patterns. Next time, I'll be able to crank them out. I finished them up just in time to drag them into the parking lot for some sunset photos. Now, I want some for my deck (with more curves)!

Odessa, Tx
    They look Great, John. They should have raised a nice amount of funds for the school.

Tokyo Japan
    John, those are fantastic, and the pics are really well done too!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    John, those are fantastic, and the pics are really well done too!
    My sentiments exactly. Nice job on the chairs too.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"