Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Some Mayo on my Mustard

Got Some Mayo on my Mustard

My old shop-made 4-wheel bowl steady rest was too small for the new lathe, so it stayed with the old lathe when I sold it. I had already decided I wanted a steel one instead of a wooden one for the new lathe. Following the advice of some old guy I know on the Internet, I ended up getting two steadies instead of one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 01 - 800.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	17246

By the time I paid any of my welding friends for materials, time, and shipping to build a "hoop style" steady rest, I would have spent about the same amount as I did on these. They are the Oneway version, and I gotta say I'm very impressed with everything about them. They are VERY substantial, and "steady" isn't just part of the product name. I'm guessing a whole lathe built to these standards must be very nice indeed. I was impressed during the first test drive as I finish turned a dried ambrosia maple vase, about 12" long. Here's the full kit:

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 02 - 800.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17247

I had roughed this piece out on my old rig, and even with the old wooden steady rest, there was so much tool chatter roughing the inside, it looked like I'd used a texturing tool. Between the Oneway steadies and the articulating hollowing tool, I was able to get reasonably good cuts as I finished it up. I still used more of the 80 grit gouge than I'd have liked, but once I get 8 or 9 inches beyond the tool rest, things get a bit bouncy. The piece still thinned up nicely:

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 03 - 800.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	17248

I'll post pics of this one when it's done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's a beautiful setup you have there, Vaughn. Congratulations, looking good.

Great idea Vaughn and good looking setup.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Outstanding! I already have half of what I need to complete one those. Thanks for sharring.
    George

Same with me. I have half.

Congrats Vaughn!

That steady rest sure looks sturdy and nice looking piece of maple as well.

"Got Some Mayo on my Mustard" Don't they call that "Durkees"?

Neat looking steady rest. Looks very sturdy and easy to set-up.

Wes

Great post Vaughn! Having just recently finished turning the legs for my American Federal Period desk project, I've a new appreciation for the need of a steady rest. Even though the cherry stock I'm using is 3.25" square, I had considerable flexing and resultant chatter. You just helped me make my choice... Now, where did I put that Woodcraft coupon?
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    My old shop-made 4-wheel bowl steady rest was too small for the new lathe, so it stayed with the old lathe when I sold it. I had already decided I wanted a steel one instead of a wooden one for the new lathe. Following the advice of some old guy I know on the Internet, I ended up getting two steadies instead of one. Hi Vaughn ,
    Try to keep up with you but it is hard! You have more going on than 4 people your size here in Texas! That steady rest, even the one you had is a really neat tool for that round work. Seems like it would be necessary for safety and precision as the work goes deeper inside. ...S ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 01 - 800.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	17246

By the time I paid any of my welding friends for materials, time, and shipping to build a "hoop style" steady rest, I would have spent about the same amount as I did on these. They are the Oneway version, and I gotta say I'm very impressed with everything about them. They are VERY substantial, and "steady" isn't just part of the product name. I'm guessing a whole lathe built to these standards must be very nice indeed. I was impressed during the first test drive as I finish turned a dried ambrosia maple vase, about 12" long. Here's the full kit:

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 02 - 800.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17247

I had roughed this piece out on my old rig, and even with the old wooden steady rest, there was so much tool chatter roughing the inside, it looked like I'd used a texturing tool. Between the Oneway steadies and the articulating hollowing tool, I was able to get reasonably good cuts as I finished it up. I still used more of the 80 grit gouge than I'd have liked, but once I get 8 or 9 inches beyond the tool rest, things get a bit bouncy. The piece still thinned up nicely: It looks like a very rewarding piece! Why would you go more than 2 or 3" past a tool rest? I don't know I am a flatlander.

Name:	Oneway Steady Rests 03 - 800.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	17248

I'll post pics of this one when it's done.
    Vaughn,
    You are a great asset to this place, even with your perverted joy in turning, round and round and round ad infinitum.......
    Shaz
    PS... I don't even have 1/4 ? ...
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    ...Why would you go more than 2 or 3" past a tool rest? ...
    The tool rest won't go very far into the mouth of the piece, so by the time you're cutting on the inside of the bottom, theres a lot of distance between the cutting tip and the tool rest that's supposed to be supporting it. The farther that distance, the more the tool tends to vibrate as you cut. Vibration is a bad thing.

If I turn many more forms like this one, I'll be looking into a special tool rest that can reach farther inside the piece. The box turners have this already figured out.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com