I was bored so.....

Jeff Horton

Been down a sinus infection all week. Have only set foot in the shop a little while Monday. So close to finishing two projects it's about killed me. So I have spent a lot of time on the computer because that was about all I had the energy to do. Tweaked the Kayaks to the point that there is nothing left to tweak. .... Until I gain some education that is.

So I decided to try something different and I like it.

X5_Linesplan.gif

12 foot long, 30 beam. Strip construction and probably weight in around 25 lbs. No intentions on building this one in the near future but I would like a Ultra Light Canoe so it's on the list.

Jeff, impressive design, it's symmetrical isn't.
Is this your first computer design ?
BTW. I'm struggling with the same problem, so also a sinus infection, not so nice, have this each winter, hope for you as well for me to get soon rid of this.

Hey Jeff Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather , all the best to a speedy recovery.

That looks like a good canoe design, Similar to the one that I built. Mine is 16 ft and 32" beam. I designed a combination laker /freighter canoe with no keel so I could fly fish out of it and run some rivers. Of course I didn't have any computer software to do mine up. I wish that I had as that would have cut down lots of work. The final product handles like a dream in the water. I did find however that the cedar is way too boyant and the draft is not as deep as I thought it would be which is great for packing gear but it really tests my handling skills on a windy day.

Real flat bottom, and no keel - ought to be a challenge crossing a pond on a windy day!

Nice design, but to me it seems just a bit broad of beam for such a short craft. Maybe stretching it out to 14 feet would 'streamline' it a bit, without adding more than a few pounds. It'd still be a really light, protageable (is that really a word?) craft.

Just my 2¢ worth...

Nice rendering! I'm suffering with sinus this week also. Thought about leaving work each day, but stuck it out. I've been out to the shop a little yesterday to unbox the new SCMS, and a few short trips today to take measurements for designing the cabinet for it to mount to. But my graph paper drawings need to be thrown out compared to your cad drawings!
Hope we all get to feeling better so we can get out in our shops! Jim.

I have a decent idea on what makes a good Kayak. A canoe..... well thats another subject. So this is a learning exersise too.

I copied the basic parameters (length, beam and flat bottom) from a boat I have always liked. The length could be shorter but I wouldn't want any longer. Like you Jim it seems awfully beamy to me too. It's a full 10" wider than the Kayaks will be. Thats what the other canoe was so it's a starting point. I got to say the Stability numbers would indicate it should be very stable so a inexperienced person should be able to paddle it once they sit down with no problem. Looks like it would take on water over the side long before it would flip. But it looks barge compared to a Kayak. :) I will probably narrow it up some point and see what happens.

It needs some rocker in the hull too. I was also thinking it needs some deadrise and/or a keel along the bottom. I tired to narrow the ends to aid tracking but everything is a compromise. Being so short there isn't much space to do much with.

Main thing is it kept me from being bored to tear's for a day. And I will post it in some canoe forums and learn a little bit about canoes. Who knows, I might actually build it someday too.

I get sick (again) and I work on this design. I think I see a pattern! :huh:

Narrowed it up and raised the sides some. Added some tumble home into the sides and worked on the end(s) shape some more.

Not sure if I will ever build it but I must say the more I work on this the more interested I get in it. Really starting to like the looks of it. Should make a great boat to explore those small creeks on the side of the road. This is a boat that I think might actually sell.

X5_Linesplan2.jpg

Frank, I know you always have a good reason for your one-liners so I went nuts trying to find out who Nesmuck was...turns out it's Nessmuk. Or actually George W. Sears...interesting blurb on him in Wikipedia. There's a reason his canoes were light...he was 5 foot 3, 103 pounds. Too bad he's not around anymore Jeff...you could probably sell that first one to him.

I think you've got it! This one looks a lot less 'beamy,' and much more sleek and streamlined. It ought to sell pretty well if you can keep the price in line.

BTW, I'm pretty much over my malady, except for a lingering cough. How you doin?

Frank, I know you always have a good reason for your one-liners so I went nuts trying to find out who Nesmuck was....

:rofl: I knew who it was and was wondering if anyone else would. Thats why I never commented on it. He has some canoes built that were featherweights even by todays standards. I am always amazed reading about some of his boats. Of course he didn't have to deal with power boats and jet skis either. :rolleyes:

I think you've got it! This one looks a lot less 'beamy,' and much more sleek and streamlined. It ought to sell pretty well if you can keep the price in line.

BTW, I'm pretty much over my malady, except for a lingering cough. How you doin?

It's getting there. It's really close to what I have in mind. Might be a while before I finish the design but I like the look so far.

Just finished up my second round of Anti-biotics. Not 100% but i am able to work again. Now the wife has it. She gave it me to start with. Now she came down with it full blown this time. Talking to my druggists yesterday and he said it was struggle for them to keep medicine in stock right now. It was almost an epidemic around here.