a little tip

Ben Werner

for those of you with cold or cool shops:

bring your toolrest inside and place it near a source of heat. I decide to try that the other day and its wonderful. nothing like having a nice warm piece of metal for your fingers as opposed to a freezing one. now i just bring it in when i'm done and bring it out to the shop when i want to turn! makes for much happier fingers! :D:D :thumb:

Ben

I keep all my rests, jaws etc. in an old set of draws, I have a low wattage bulb, on 24-7, mounted in the middle draw under the regularly used pieces.

This does two things, it stops surface rust from condensation when the humidity/temp changes in the winter as the metal is always above shop temp. and has the benefit of keeping the metal parts warmer for handling.

Early pics of setup as it was developing Here but it is a little more crowded now with half a dozen or so more rests and adaptors.

Nice idea, Ben. :thumb:

I like the anti-humidity drawer, Chas. Enjoyed the rest of the referenced thread, too. At risk of threadjack, I do gotta say it looks like this piece needs more sanding. I can still see a few tool marks:

DSC01822.JPG

:rofl:

Hi there people, :wave:I've just followed Chas across the pond. Been browsing for a few days seeing the things that you all do. I get the general impression that the addiction is just as strong over there as it is here.

You all sound as though you don't make too may 'little things' whereas over here quite a few of us hate throwing away anything so we make these

Mahogany, about 1" tall

The lighter is 2" long and these are pieces of spalted beech

Pete

Nice little goblets :thumb: but I would think they would be worn out by the time you could muster a buzz using them. :rofl:

Thanks for the posting and the pictures, :)

A good way to keep warm (he said cleverly bring the thread back in line) only problem is it's the world that starts turning not you. One pint of farmhouse scrumpy is enough for a lot of people.

Pete